Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Karate and Ki: The Origin of Ki- The depth of Thought. Kenji Ushiro

Likes (received)

Default Karate and Ki: The Origin of Ki- The depth of Thought. Kenji Ushiro

Karate and Ki: The Origin of Ki- The Depth of Thought
    By Kenji Ushiro, 8th Dan. Kyoshi of Shindo-Ryu Karatedo.

I am pleased to announce that the English version of this POWERFUL book in now available from Kinokuniya Books worldwide and Aiki News in Japan.

I was fortunate to be involved in the translation of this book. This book is not another "how-to" book, but represents some of the philosophical approaches that Ushiro Sensei utilizes. I personally found that this book helped to change the way (for the better) that I approached my training in martial arts.

I would strongly recommend this book as a great holiday gift for anyone who seeks a deeper understanding of the world of martial arts.

Respectfully,

Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Likes (received)

Default link to the aikinews page

Likes (received)

Default update

I just found out that Kinokuniya bookstore has not received it's shipment of the books yet, so people can order directly from the Aiki News website.

For a teaser, here is a section of the book that is on the promo pamphlet:

The first priority in marital arts is "enter your opponent".

Entering your opponent is the first priority in the one strike, one kill world of martial arts. Once you enter, your opponent will become weak and your one strike will be strong with destructive power. Hence, the significance is different from sports-based martial arts where your strike is suppose to "hit" your opponent. While it is commonly believed that hitting makiwara and sand bags strengthens your striking power, the actual result is contrary. For this reason, you do not do such training in martial arts. A powerful strike is just one example, but is shows the difference in the way of thinking and practice process between sports-based and traditional martial arts.

Your opponent's body will unconsciously be able to read your attack when your brain is creating an order to attack. This is because you are giving away the targets that you are aiming at your opponent. However, when you create ma (space, distance) to enter your opponent first, then your opponent is unable to read your intention of attack and defense. In martial arts practice, you must enter your opponent first.

The ultimate goal of sports is timing. But timing is only beginner's level in martial arts. The important thing is to "enter". If you misunderstand this, you will never make progress no matter how many years you spent practicing.

Marc Abrams
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by drmarc View Post

The first priority in marital arts is "enter your opponent".
    That is one of the most appropriate uses of that typo that I have ever seen. Though I did once read an article about an ikebana teacher who did budo with her husband. The author of the article pointed out, quite tastefully I thought, that she had been practicing the marital arts with her husband for forty years.
    Josh Lerner

Likes (received)

Default Zaha Karate

I am curious about this book and would also like to know more about Zaha Karate. Is there a web site?
    don engle

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dengle View Post
    I am curious about this book and would also like to know more about Zaha Karate. Is there a web site?
    Mr. Dengle:

Here is the direct website.

http://www.uk-jj.com/

I was directly involved in the translation project and study directly with Ushiro Sensei. If you have any questions in particular, please feel free to ask me openly or in private e-mail.

Regards

Marc Abrams
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Likes (received)

Default Thank you

My school is an Aikido dojo. But we also cross train in Taichi and like to look at various theories and applications of ki.
    don engle

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dengle View Post
    My school is an Aikido dojo. But we also cross train in Taichi and like to look at various theories and applications of ki.
    Don:

I too run an Aikido school (am a direct student of Imaizumi Sensei), sublet to a very good tai chi teacher (we cross train together), I study with Ushiro Sensei and Popkin Sensei. We are in agreement with our pursuits. Imaizumi Sensei has directly told me that it is my responsibility to be a well-rounded budoka.

Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Likes (received)

Default TaiChi-DRAJJ/Aikido

Quote Originally Posted by drmarc View Post
    Don:

I too run an Aikido school (am a direct student of Imaizumi Sensei), sublet to a very good tai chi teacher (we cross train together), I study with Ushiro Sensei and Popkin Sensei. We are in agreement with our pursuits. Imaizumi Sensei has directly told me that it is my responsibility to be a well-rounded budoka.

Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com
    Marc,

I'm getting a bit away from your post about Ushiro sensei's book...

I've cross-trained with a few TaiChi instructors. I feel their energy (ki) is "explosive" meaning they push me away to throw, whereas Daito Ryu energy is more "implosive" (either entering or bring your opponent into your energy realm and then throwing/locking near your center). These are of course "MY" feelings. What do you feel are similarities or differences between DRAJJ/Aikido and TaiChi movement/energy and how do you reconcile training in both if they feel "opposite" when compared against one another?

I stopped cross-training in TaiChi for fear that it would make my DRAJJ awkward. I know Tim Tung Sensei also does both arts and I've been meaning to ask him but you cut-in-line.

Regards,

Andrew De Luna
    Daito Ryu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1899 View Post
    Marc,

I'm getting a bit away from your post about Ushiro sensei's book...

I've cross-trained with a few TaiChi instructors. I feel their energy (ki) is "explosive" meaning they push me away to throw, whereas Daito Ryu energy is more "implosive" (either entering or bring your opponent into your energy realm and then throwing/locking near your center). These are of course "MY" feelings. What do you feel are similarities or differences between DRAJJ/Aikido and TaiChi movement/energy and how do you reconcile training in both if they feel "opposite" when compared against one another?

I stopped cross-training in TaiChi for fear that it would make my DRAJJ awkward. I know Tim Tung Sensei also does both arts and I've been meaning to ask him but you cut-in-line.

Regards,

Andrew De Luna
    Daito Ryu
    Andrew:

I view both Tai Chi and Aikido as internal arts. As such, there are just so many body dynamics and types of movements that fit within the realm of principle-based movements that utilize Ki/Chi. I find that a major difference is that the Chinese arts movements were developed along the use of a straight sword and spear, whereas Aikido is based around a curved sword.

The framing of implosive and explosive types of movements is an interesting framework! I think that both types of movements should be good items for one's arsenal. I think that because they work differently, that they do not necessarily work against one another. One of the valuable aspects of training in Shindoryu Ushiro Karate is that the emphasis is upon blending and entering into the opponent in a manner that neutralizes the power of the attacker while maximizing the amount of power of one's strike or throw. Viewed from that perspective, the implosive and explosive movements can work in unison with one another in that both work by blending with the opponent in a manner that opens up possibilities.

Just my 2 cents!

Marc Abrams
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Likes (received)

Default Review by Toby Threadgill

Toby Threadgill has written the following review:

My good friend Kenji Ushiro has written a unique treatise. Despite a title that identifies this work as a book on karate, it is in fact much more. It is a book that touches on and delves into the transcendent nature of all genuine budo. My own teacher, Takamura Yukiyoshi frequently discussed what he called the omote and ura of existence. He believed budo was one gateway to the ura of existence, a pursuit that enabled one to touch a living world beyond our temporal consciousness. Most people who undertake martial arts training seek only the omote or outward manifestation of budo because they are not aware that this other, more elusive world exists. Ushiro sensei, with great passion conveys the totality of budo to the reader and offers not only encouragement to seek out that other world but also offers the reader a roadmap of how to get there.

For the budo practitioner who seeks a deeper understanding of where he's headed and what riches exist in the study of budo, this book is a must have. It is book that will become tattered from being read over and over thru successive years because each time it is picked up, it is a new book, one with a new voice and a deeper message.

Toby Threadgill / Kaicho
    Takamura ha Shindo Yoshi ryu

Submitted by Marc Abrams
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com