Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: James Williams cutting festival!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    I wasn't going to write this, but I just couldn't help myself!
    I'm glad you did. The nail was hit on the head there.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Like I wrote before, I'm writing from an "old school" perspective and writing about PUBLIC opinion. Of course, you should have your own opinion but you keep it to yourself until you've paid your dues to be credible and respected, either within an organization or the public at large.
    OK, I'll concede your point with a caveat. How many of the posters in this thread do you think would come under your "credible and respected" blanket? Are you going to issue them a public apology for telling them to keep their opinions to themselves, and for telling them how they should comport themselves?

Seems to me that if you don't know who you're talking to, you should be careful what you say. That's old school for you!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

OK, I'll concede your point with a caveat. How many of the posters in this thread do you think would come under your "credible and respected" blanket? Are you going to issue them a public apology for telling them to keep their opinions to themselves, and for telling them how they should comport themselves?

Seems to me that if you don't know who you're talking to, you should be careful what you say. That's old school for you!

Point well taken, my answer would be "very few", myself included and no offense is intended. I will not issue an apology because I'm simply criticizing the logic, not them. I'm arguing, you can't argue "NOT being old school" with "NON-old school tactics".

Basically, and ironically this is my PERSONAL opinion and interpretation, UNLESS you are recognized as a spokesperson for a koryu art or have some credentials that would (in the perspective of a 'reasonable' person) make you an expert in koryu, you should NOT PUBLICLY state an opinion about someone else not following Koryu tradition.

In addition, I'm not accusing anyone or multitudes of people of anything so my post is "number-of-people" irrelevant. It's a post on logic.

Regards,

Andrew De Luna

Likes (received)

Point well taken, my answer would be "very few", myself included and no offense is intended.
    There were actually quite a number of posters in this thread that run their own dojo, and are long-time koryu practitioners.

Basically, and ironically this is my PERSONAL opinion and interpretation, UNLESS you are recognized as a spokesperson for a koryu art or have some credentials that would (in the perspective of a 'reasonable' person) make you an expert in koryu, you should NOT PUBLICLY state an opinion about someone else not following Koryu tradition.
    So, it's simply a case of do what you say, and not what you do? I mean, you are telling a number of koryu practitioners how you think they should be acting, when you aren't a member of any koryu yourself.

Irony indeed!
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

There were actually quite a number of posters in this thread that run their own dojo, and are long-time koryu practitioners.

So, it's simply a case of do what you say, and not what you do? I mean, you are telling a number of koryu practitioners how you think they should be acting, when you aren't a member of any koryu yourself.

Irony indeed!
    A "few" in ratio of total members to "credible" members.

I'm not criticizing koryu members or non-members; if someone is a koryu member and "expert" or "delegate" in that koryu, then by all means, give us an opinion. I'm speaking as a person against bad logic not as a koryu or non-koryu member against koryu or non-koryu members. Not that it matters but it will be VERY difficult (not impossible) to find an instance that I say to others to do something I don't!! And I am a member of a koryu association!!

Yours in Budo,

Andrew De Luna

Likes (received)

Default Am I unqualified to post to this thread?

I am in no way an authority, nor an expert in koryu. Does that mean that I am superseding my posting rights when I post here? I did not know that there were individual qualifications that are to be observed when posting.

I did post an opinion, that hacking X-mass ham with a katana is bad taste, no matter whether it is done in the name of koryu, gendai or even the allmighty (used to be) dollar.

Since I appear to have been out of order by posting to this thread, I offer my sincere apologies to everybody for trespassing. It will not happen again!

;-D

P.S. MERRY NUUYAAAH EVERRYBUDDY!
    -Eddie Murphy 1983.
    A.J. Vedenkannas

"A horribile Haccapaelitorum agmine libera nos, Domine."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1899 View Post
    I'm not criticizing koryu members or non-members; if someone is a koryu member and "expert" or "delegate" in that koryu, then by all means, give us an opinion.
    I think you'll find that aside from very rare cases, like the provision or clarification of information, even the people who could act as delegates of their koryu do not post their opinions as delegates of that koryu.

I'm speaking as a person against bad logic not as a koryu or non-koryu member against koryu or non-koryu members.
    What bad logic are you seeing here?
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

So, are we still discussing Mr. James Williams? Or, was the thread hijacked?

Likes (received)

Nah, the thread got hijacked.
    I can't think of anything else that needs to be said about Mr. Williams personally.
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

Default Japan's "greatest modern-day samurai"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_gcPGI-ZMI

Some unorthodox tests of his swordsmanship.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Seems the swordsman is Syuushinryuu-Iaijutsu Head master Isao Machii (修心流居合術兵法修 心館町井館長). Here he is participating in an embu taikai in Tokyo 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KpQQo_6Wnw
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

The Japanese TV show "Best House 123" had it's follow-up show with Isao Machii's display of cutting skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4n12Mf97YQ
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Mr. Machii versus a 130 kph fastball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJBUc74cBo

The baseball loses.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
    The baseball loses.
    Not as much as budo does...
    Scott Halls