Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: McDojo's

Likes (received)

Default McDojo's

I heard some of you mention McDojo's. I know what I think the definition of McDojo is and this question may seem stupid or uneducated. But I want to know what your definition is or what the real definition of McDojo is?

Likes (received)

I never know for "sure" myself. These are some "definitions" of "McDojo" that I have seen or heard in the Net, in E-Budo or in Indonesia my country. WARNING: The following "definitions" are guaranteed to make people angry and 100% NOT my inventions nor my intentions

McDojo is:

1. Any dojo which does not practice free sparring

2. Any dojo which does not practice full-contact MMA

3. Any dojo which does not have complete equipment (mats, gym equipments etc)

4. Any dojo which has complete gym equipments and charge exorbitant fees

5. Any dojo which practices Japanese martial art with non-Japanese founder of the art (huh?)

6. Any dojo which practices "Aiki Ju-Jitsu", "Nin-Jitsu" or anything which ends with "Jitsu" instead of the politically correct and koryu.com approved "Jutsu". :P

7. Any dojo whose head sensei does not accept challenge matches or not available for "dojo arashi" (huh?)

8. Any dojo whose head sensei does not compete in full-contact MMA

9. Any dojo which trains children

10. Any dojo which does not charge any fee

11. Any dojo which charges very expensive fee

12. Any dojo which the majority of E-budo people consider as McDojo

pS: don't take this too seriously, I'm just joking and please read my sign
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default mcdojo

I think by those definitions every Dojo is a McDojo from Gichin Funakoshi to Royce Gracie!

I'll have a Big Mac and fries!
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Allrighty.. I think the rather more "serious" definition of a McDojo .. "Mc Dojo is -> Any dojo declared as one by the panel of "experts" from these Authorized Internet Martial Arts Forums: koryu.com, bullshido.com and e-budo.com"

(sorry I am still in joking mode )
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default McDojo

I think comparing a certain kind of Dojo to a fastfood outlet was thought of with this comparison in mind:

An organisation that offers something of little substance, packed with additives, aimed at children and operated as a profit-making franchise.

Cheap product, overpriced, garishly marketed.

And frustratingly successful!
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

The Pagan Barbarian Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Likes (received)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcdojo

and http://www.bullshido.org/McDojo (basically the same text though) give you some ideas. There are no set requirements for a McDojo. Generally you could say that McDojo are more about Egos and/or money, not about martial arts.
    Remi Vredeveldt

"Hysterical knowledge is often mistaken for historical knowledge"

Boni enim duces non aperto proelio, in quo est commune periculum, sed ex occulto semper adtemptant Vegetius Liber III, 9:5

Likes (received)

When I first posted this question I felt kind of stupid. I was pretty sure that I knew the answer. But now that I have received feed back I am glad that I posted the question because it is different then what I expected. I had expected the answer to be a chain of Dojo's owned by one person or a Dojo Franchise. Now that I see a difference in the definition I understand why the term is used so often. Thank you

Likes (received)

If you need further guidance I'm sure we can dig up some YouTube clips of people & groups considered McDojo..Its not pretty though.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27 View Post
    If you need further guidance I'm sure we can dig up some YouTube clips of people & groups considered McDojo..Its not pretty though.
    [Cue Luke Skywalker when he finds out Darth Vader is his father voice] "Noooooooooo!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27 View Post
    I don't need further guidance but I would love a good laugh.

Likes (received)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcdojo

and http://www.bullshido.org/McDojo (basically the same text though) give you some ideas. There are no set requirements for a McDojo. Generally you could say that McDojo are more about Egos and/or money, not about martial arts.
    ah, interesting. So, apparently the catagory of no MMA-style sparring and no-accepting challenge matches are no longer defined as Bullshido and/or McDojo. Now I can with some confidence say that my Wado-ryu Karate & Jujutsu Dojo, which does not practice MMA-style sparring and does not accept challenge matches, are no longer considered as bullshido and McDojo.

Likes (received)

http://www.international-atemijujits...bullshido.html

another good definition of bullshido here

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3 View Post
    ah, interesting. So, apparently the catagory of no MMA-style sparring and no-accepting challenge matches are no longer defined as Bullshido and/or McDojo. Now I can with some confidence say that my Wado-ryu Karate & Jujutsu Dojo, which does not practice MMA-style sparring and does not accept challenge matches, are no longer considered as bullshido and McDojo.
    For the sake of brevity, I will summarise the basic arguments of the MMA crowd:

"The Gracies blah blah, realistic training blah blah UFC blah cage fighting blah traditional stuff is nonsense blah blah Aikido doesn't work blah blah tap out blah blah real fighting blah blah uber!"
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

"The Gracies blah blah, realistic training blah blah UFC blah cage fighting blah traditional stuff is nonsense blah blah Aikido doesn't work blah blah tap out blah blah real fighting blah blah uber!"
    My sincere gratitude Andrew san, for eloquently summarize the often-repeated opinion of (many of) our MMA brothers and sisters

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post

So if an Aikidoka techniques won a MMA match by ''tapout'' you wouldnt be interested then?
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast