Much thanks.
    Richard Ray Dojo-Cho
    Rick Ray's Warrior Arts Academy
    Bujinkan Makoto Dojo
    Cleveland Ninpo/Ninjutsu
    Makoto Dojo's Youtube Channel

Likes (received)

What's in a name?

Actually, the name has nothing at all to do with the steel. Both sword series are made from exactly the same steel. The words classic and forged refer to the sword series. The "classic steel iaito" are the original steel iaito series that the Hanwei forge produced. The "forged steel iaito" are a series of Hanwei's usually carbon steel swords that are made with blunt stainless blades instead.

Personally, I really don't care much for Hanwei's iaito. Japanese made alloy iaito feel tons better as far as balance, fit, and finish in my opinion.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    What's in a name?

Actually, the name has nothing at all to do with the steel. Both sword series are made from exactly the same steel. The words classic and forged refer to the sword series. The "classic steel iaito" are the original steel iaito series that the Hanwei forge produced. The "forged steel iaito" are a series of Hanwei's usually carbon steel swords that are made with blunt stainless blades instead.

Personally, I really don't care much for Hanwei's iaito. Japanese made alloy iaito feel tons better as far as balance, fit, and finish in my opinion.
    I am under the assumption that neither of these are sharp and that the forged are actually his cutters shipped dulled.
    Richard Ray Dojo-Cho
    Rick Ray's Warrior Arts Academy
    Bujinkan Makoto Dojo
    Cleveland Ninpo/Ninjutsu
    Makoto Dojo's Youtube Channel

Likes (received)

While you are correct that neither of them are sharp, both series are made of stainless, so they aren't the standard cutting sword made dull. they do, however, come in the standard cutting swords koshirae.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"