Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Learning a Language of Martial Art

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post

Though it doesn't aid in fighting/combat-

Hmmn, or does it.

Does such things give a better sense of the calm mind, thus giving harmony in case of combat?

(REF-Samurai and Zen, Buddhist Monks and Hostile Aggression)
    Sir, please explain this a little further. I'm a bit confused by it. Are you asking if "such things" (ie, learning the native language attached to a martial art's origin) give a better sense of the calm mind, "thus giving harmony in case of combat"? What does this mean? How would the learning of the language give a better sense of the calm mind? It does not make much sense to me. You reference "Samurai and Zen, Buddhist Monks and Hostile Aggression". Can you explain this reference vis-a-vis the point you are making regarding the sentence above it? Thank you.

PS - Kindly, sir, what martial arts do you practice? Pardon the inquisitive intrusion.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perez View Post
    Sir, please explain this a little further. I'm a bit confused by it. Are you asking if "such things" (ie, learning the native language attached to a martial art's origin) give a better sense of the calm mind, "thus giving harmony in case of combat"? What does this mean? How would the learning of the language give a better sense of the calm mind? It does not make much sense to me. You reference "Samurai and Zen, Buddhist Monks and Hostile Aggression". Can you explain this reference vis-a-vis the point you are making regarding the sentence above it? Thank you.

PS - Kindly, sir, what martial arts do you practice? Pardon the inquisitive intrusion.
    What I am saying, that by learning other apsects of a art, other than physcal, will it help maintain a harmony or calm mind-attitude, to aid in a confrontation later.

Some say that the Samurai, studied Zen, and other things, to achieve this.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    What I am saying, that by learning other apsects of a art, other than physcal, will it help maintain a harmony or calm mind-attitude, to aid in a confrontation later.

Some say that the Samurai, studied Zen, and other things, to achieve this.
    Will it help maintain a harmony or calm mind-attitude if one learns other aspects of an art? That's your questiong then, correct? I think that one answers itself. But, I'll qualify it: "Yes, with many martial arts, this is quite possible." But, I think we all know that.

Your original question was:
    "But is it necessary to learn a language of a particular martial art influenced from its particular culture?"

I guess, you should first define what your personal understanding is of WHAT a martial art is, or entails. This will probably lead you to the direct answer, in as far as you are concerned. So, kindly, what is a "martial art" to you? Is it just technique? Does it entail a spiritual aspect? What is its goal, ultimately? Then, how does language enable that goal. Otherwise, the answers will be as varied as the members of this forum are varied and the final answer will always be - truly - "maybe".

Likes (received)

Understood. However, since it depends upon the person (as many think if it does deal with them fighting better), how a metod is communicated is within such individual's desire
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Original Inquiry (post):

"But is it necessary to learn a language of a particular martial art influenced from its particular culture?"

Answer:

"However, since it depends upon the person (as many think if it does deal with them fighting better), how a metod is communicated is within such individual's desire."

Excellent. Thread answered. Moving on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2