Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas?

Likes (received)

Default Ideas?

I have opened a Dojo.

I have a website, myspace, tagged, facebook, Graig's list, yellowpages, done flyer's, have business cards, insurance, joined a national group, rented space, got wavier and release form and student books. I have one student. Is there anything I forgot or does anyone have any suggestions ?

thanks
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)
    Hakuho ryu Indy study group
    http://thejumonkan.webs.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    I have opened a Dojo.

I have a website, myspace, tagged, facebook, Graig's list, yellowpages, done flyer's, have business cards, insurance, joined a national group, rented space, got wavier and release form and student books. I have one student. Is there anything I forgot or does anyone have any suggestions ?

thanks
    Just the small stuff like Business license, EIN, Business entity and legal structure ,Funding capital, start-up expenses, Utilities, working capitals, business checking account and lastly, establishing a good legal base such accountants, lawyers and bankers

Congratulation and good luck !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Do you have someone you can show techniqeus with. Try an open house or demo at a boyscout/girlscout meeting.

Likes (received)

Beer yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler View Post
    Just the small stuff like Business license, EIN, Business entity and legal structure ,Funding capital, start-up expenses, Utilities, working capitals, business checking account and lastly, establishing a good legal base such accountants, lawyers and bankers

Congratulation and good luck !
    1. I don't need a business license here in Indiana, already check into it. I'm already started, I'm not trying to make it a business If I make money fine, if I don't, I'm ok with that too, as long as it pays for itself great. I have a good job I like.

2. Yes I have someone to demo with, I have trained with him for the last year or so, he is already a black belt in Jujutsu and is doing Judo too, so I'm good there. I don't teach Children.

lastly thanks prince
    Last edited by someguy; 5th January 2009 at 04:06. Reason: need to add more to answer question
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)

Likes (received)

Patience and good nature.

My sensei is great because he is always calm, yet exited.
    Serious yet relaxed.
    Nice, yet mean.

He always has time to explain it again , and can always put a smile on your face.

But no one forgets that he is the sensei in the room.

Of course, im sure you know all of this.

Paul Green

Likes (received)

lastly thanks prince
    You're welcome James and keep us all posted with the new dojo progress.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Beer Thanks

Thank you guy for taking the time to give advice, and read this.
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)

Likes (received)

I took a look at your website. It is littered with spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

You may not consider this to be important; that what you do on the mat is what counts. However poor attention to detail off the mat on your part does not bode well for what you do on the mat (IMO).

I encourage you to run each page through a spell checker. Better yet, get someone with good writing skills to proof read all of your written media. If need be, hire a technical writer.

Your website, myspace, facebook, business cards, even your posts on forums are a direction reflection of you, and your dojo. As it stands, anyone looking at your website with an eye for detail is going to catch these mistakes and move on.

You may not be trying to make the dojo a business, but there are details that you will need to attend too. Especially if you hope to reach your goal of the dojo paying for itself.

Good luck!
    Adam McColl

"On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami."

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi James and congatulations on your new venture.
    I recently have done the same thing and opened my new Dojo last month. Already have various students enrolled and this is what I did:

Informed the local press of opening which caused them to do a story in the local paper that looked like this:
    http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...ry/373923.html

They also did a Short video and posted it on the web:
    http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...73705-t32.html

The story was both on the web and hardcopy. Lots of response from the article that lead to visits to the Dojo and some enrollments.

2. Scheduled an open house on a Saturday since many people are off that day. Invited My instructors and respected peers to put on 45 min modules of their choice to showcase the arts that I teach. Requested that the techniques remain not to complicated so that those watching could also partake if they desired (signed waiver a must). I taught the 1st module. This was a full day event with food and fun. Will do these 2x a year.
    Had 7 sign up that day at 80.00 dollars a head. Cost me about $250 for food and misc. stuff.

3. I have disseminated flyers in STRATEGIC areas that allow postings of such materials (ie. supermarkets, book stores, etc.).

4. As a community service I offer a womens self defense class for a 4 week period that is cost free. Each class is 1 1/2 hour on saturdays. This is a good way to get prospective students interested so you can "pull the hook" if you will.

5. I will be advertising using small ads in publications such as the Trifty Nickle, American Classifieds etc.

6. I offer student incentives if they bring someone who actually signs up (reduced tuition the following month 25 % discount, etc.). I

7. Quality brochures and a good website are a must. The website also serves as a student handbook with all the requirements for promotion, philosophy,etc.

I will say something that may be a little controversial but it really addresses the business side. Alot of your market share will come from teaching children. Out of the Kids you teach, it will be your White Belts thru Green Belts that will bring in your most revenue to the school. I have found that teaching kids can be quite rewarding as you see them shape and mold into these tremendous Martial artists. Many years ago I would not train anyone under the age of 13, that has changed. I have students as young as 6. I find that if I pair off a younger one with an older one it seems to work best (the whole Sempai /Kohai thing). I am now actively engaged in training my 4 yr old granddaughter (her sempai is a 7yr old female I have trained for 1 1/2 yr.). This whole kid thing has challenged me to learn how to impart information in creative ways. They win and I win.

We have to decide... are we in business or a Hobby. I also have a Job that I love as I am a Counselor at my own clinic full time. That being said I had to decide if I was going to take my Dojo business venture serious. If not then I would go back to teaching at my friends Dojo for free as I did for MANY years.

Good luck on your new and wonderful adventure.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Default Again

thanks again all and as the website stands now is better than the first run, but I will have someone else read it through and rewrite it. I have no interest in teaching Children at all. I'm not in it to make it a business, I just want it to pay for its self. My teacher only teaches adults and he has on average 30 to 40 people year round. thanks again for the advice.

James
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)

Likes (received)

I have opened a Dojo.

thanks

While you may not need a business license in Indiana (?), I'd recommend incorporating as an LLC to protect yourself from personal liability, as well as for tax purposes.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Default already

already in the works. and I checked they do require BL's, but there is not one required for Martial arts business. Thanks
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)

Likes (received)

Beer Well

Hello thought I would let everyone know, I have my USJA Club Number and by next month I will have enough people for my Charter. Virgil Bowels is going to be testing me for my Nidan so the USJA will validate it. Thanks again to everyone who gave advice I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)

Likes (received)

Red face Snag in the plan

Well Bowles Sensei past way last month from a heart attack before he could validate my Nidan, so I'm out a great teacher and mentor and my charter from the USJA. I have three students and one that is hit and miss. All in All it is doing what I planned which is paying for it's self. I'm in the process of becoming a study group for Hakuho Ryu Aikijujutsu (Hakuho Kai Daito Ryu) here in Indianapolis, I'm a sponsored group at the moment but won't be official until next year when I meet Okabayashi Sensei.

Thanks again all
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)

Likes (received)

Talking Movin On

Hi,

I just wanted to send my condolences (hope it is spelled right). It is very sad when a Sensei passes on suddenly. Your are never sure if he taught you everything he intended. It gives no time to make plans for the future of his lineage etc.

I'm glad you are continuing your career.

I know of a jiu jitsu school that operates in this manner. The instructor went to the most reputable and pure lineage karate school he could. He asked the Cheif instructor to team up with him in this manner.

Send me one of your students who is at the point of being able and responsible enough to teach classes. Limit the new instructor to teaching children at your Dojo and give him time slots. You make a deal as far as money. The Karate guys help pay the rent without taking adult students from your Dojo.

It helps in many ways. It exposes your school to the adults coming in with their kids. The karate guy gets experience as a Sensei. You get assistance in paying your bills without the headache of teaching children. If the karate guy has a strong association to a japanese organization in rubs off on you. You may even be able to pool together for advertising purposes.

K Moskie
    Okinawan Goju Ryu karate-do Kyokai
    Kevin Moskie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast