Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shimizu Sensei film from 1950's

Likes (received)

Default Shimizu Sensei film from 1950's

Rising Sun Productions http://www.risingsunproductions.net/ has an extensive selection of martial arts DVD and books. Among the most interesting selections is one called Fighting Spirit of old Japan. Filmed (albeit in poor quality) by judoka Mel Bruno, sometime in the 1950's, it features iaido (Muso Shinden-ryu, I believe), kendo (both shiai and kata), and most interesting, jo. There is an exhibition of 1950 police crowd control tactics with a jo, but what is most interesting is Shimizu sensei.
    • Shimizu and a partner do several of the Shindo Muso-ryu kata. I had only seen Shimizu sensei as an elderly man. His technique here is, not surprisingly, much more dynamic and powerful.
    • Self defense tactics - Bruno tries to attack Shimizu a knife, with boxing techniques and with a stick of his own
    • Something I have never seen before - Shimizu using a tanjo (short stick), NOT in Uchida-ryu tanjojutsu, but rather in police tactics, combining strikes and jujutsu locks.

The film quality is poor, the commentary is <well,l I turned off the sound>, but it is, nonetheless, a treasure. I wish I could identify the kendoka and the iaidoka - I would not be surprised if these men are top level as well - though not being my field of expertise, I do not know who they are.
    And a personal note - I know most of us are struggling in this economy, and it is tempting, therefore, to buy one DVD and spread the wealth by burning your own. Don't. We only get an opportunity to see things like this when someone can afford to make them available.
    Best

Likes (received)

The company released a Trailer of that dvd on youtube some time ago speaking of which.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4jxZQlTVDY

*edit*

You said the DVD featured Shimizu Sensei. Is that him in white in the above trailer? I always thought it was Hiroi Sensei.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Please correct me if I am wrong. He sure looks like Shimizu sensei to me on the big screen.
    EA

Likes (received)

... I believe it is Hiroi Sensei - my Sensei talks about his signature Ai-uchi speed spin which you can see in the clip.

Cheers

Jason
    Jason Anstey

"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

Likes (received)

What about the uchidachi? He looks almost caucasian. Phil Relnick Sensei?
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Default Comparison

My money is on it being Shimizu Sensei. My first thought was that the Uchidachi was Relnick Sensei also.

For a comparison here is another Utube clip of Shimizu Sensei.
    Shimizu Sensei.

The Uchidachi is Kuroda Sensei.
    Tim Atkinson
    Shinto Muso Ryu 神道夢想流
    Shinto Seishin Ryu 真途静心流
    Gold Coast, Australia

Likes (received)

... well I don't really know personally - my Sensei trained under Hiroi Sensei - I thought it was Shimizu and sent the link to my Sensei under the heading "old Shimizu Sensei clip", but was corrected by Sensei saying it was Hiroi Sensei.
    Jason Anstey

Likes (received)

I dunno. The uchidachi is Japanese - Phil wasn't doing jo in those days. There are a lot of close-up shots, and the man is built exactly like Shimizu. I'm sending my copy of the video on to someone who would know for sure.
    Or - buy your own copy - there's a lot more than on the clip.
    EA

Likes (received)

If that is Kuroda sensei then it is definetly not Shimizu Sensei as shidachi.
    Looking at this clip of Shimizu and Kuroda explains why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAV_a...eature=related

Shimizu and Kuroda were of the same height. The DVD trailer shows the shidachi as being alot shorter than his uchidachi.
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

I bought the VHS of this several years ago. I'm pretty sure it is Shimizu Sensei in the film (and I think Relnick Sensei agreed). Though the quality is poor, the tanjo clips have clearer views of him.

Also, I believe the uchidachi in the jo section also participated in the kendo demo.

The film quality is poor, the commentary is <well,l I turned off the sound>, but it is, nonetheless, a treasure.
    Agreed 100%. Does anyone know who Damian Chambers is?
    Will Schutt

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    I bought the VHS of this several years ago. I'm pretty sure it is Shimizu Sensei in the film (and I think Relnick Sensei agreed). Though the quality is poor, the tanjo clips have clearer views of him.

Also, I believe the uchidachi in the jo section also participated in the kendo demo.

Agreed 100%. Does anyone know who Damian Chambers is?
    The performer in the video is Shimizu.

Damian Chambers is here
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...ian%20Chambers
    Jim Cotter

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jfkcotter View Post
    The performer in the video is Shimizu.

Damian Chambers is here
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...ian%20Chambers
    Dunno - but as my Sensei trained under both I will take my Sensei's view. Also Hiroi has more of a belly (hara ) than Shimzu.

What would be definitive is if we could see Shimizu doing Midare Dome and Ran-ai as I believe the spin of the Jo in Ai-uchi is quite unique to Hiroi.

Either way they are both legends and the vid is link is great - I may have to purchase when funds permit.
    Jason Anstey

Likes (received)

Default picture of Shimizu and Bruno

Found this in one of my books.

It's Shimizu Sensei.
    Eric Montes

Likes (received)

What book is the photo from?

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

This was from a book of photos that my teacher gave me. His teacher, Nishioka Sensei, compiled it years ago.
    Eric Montes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast