Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photo: Ainu with traditional weapons

Likes (received)

<center></center>

Photo provided by RC Hartmann.
    Last edited by George Kohler; 10th March 2003 at 20:01.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Firedan Guest

Question Question

What or more like who are "Ainu"?

Just curious

Dan Fernandez

kusanku Guest

The Ainu are the Genjumin- the 'original inhabitants' of Japan. The are white people who once lived throughout Japan but live mostly in Hokkaido today.

They have their own languages, their own culture, and their own religion unrlatted to anything of the Yamato or Japanese ethnic peoples, although the Ainu, like the Native Americans are Americans and Hmong are Chinese in China are in fact native Japanese.

Ainu are believed also to comprise part of the ethnic makeup or Formosans and Okinawans.

Kusanku

Firedan Guest

Thank you Sir!

Dan

adepss Guest

I'm not sure you can say that the ainu are white people per se, but there is a link with polynesians and a caucasian souce that nobody can be absolutely certain about.

Likes (received)

Default full name please

Originally posted by adepss
    I'm not sure you can say that the ainu are white people per se, but there is a link with polynesians and a caucasian souce that nobody can be absolutely certain about.
    Andrew,

it is e-budo policy to place your full name on your posts.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Question

Look ..look very close.The guy second from our left has two left feet..seriously.Look at the shape of the foot from the ankle down!!Perhaps this is why his feet are farther apart than the others?He is the only one with his feet covered......

Are there more pictures of Ainu people in you possession John or George?I wouldn't mind seeing a picture or two of modern Ainu.Does anybody have any they care to share?

Likes (received)

I meant right feet..not left in the previous post.Sorry it is just common place to say such a phrase using left instead of right.

Likes (received)

Hi John,

I do have some pics of Ainu, but they are from an article in JAMA (Journal of Asain Martial Arts), so I don't know if I can post them here. BTW, the picture above is also in this same article.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Rocket Guest

Default Ainu

Interesting stuff! When I was stationed at Misawa Air Base, Tohoku (Northern) Japan from 1997-1999, I recall visiting several historical sites that made mention of the Ainu. These mentionings usually referred to pitched battles between the Ainu and the present day inhabitants of Japan (i.e., the non-Ainu inhabitants). Reminded me a great deal of the "Indian Wars" in the United States.

neb Guest

interesting that the ainu have so much faical hair, when the japanese grow next to none

Azamat Oulbachev Guest

Thumbs up

nice photo

Likes (received)

good pic...

Likes (received)

link fixed
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Ainu Story

While I was living in Japan I was lent a book by a friend about how the Japanese society has extended prejudice and hostility to certain ethnic groups within it's country. There was an article about the only Ainu member of the Japanese Parliament. After years of fighting to get representation and a position for the Ainu people, this MP (I can't remember his name) finally got his place.

As he was elected to position he did an address speech...which he did completely in the Ainu language of which no one else could understand.

It is difficult to describe the story as I read it some years ago but it was one of the few things I had read before which brought a tear to the eye and a lump to the throat.
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast