Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favorite Aikido & Aiki Jujutsu technique for practical self-defense drills

Likes (received)

Default Short Time Aikido Training

I wouldn't get caught up in whether it looks like Aikido or not. Aikido applied in a combative situation doesn’t look like Aikido ( a rose by any other name...)

What works, works.

The idea that Aikido takes a life time to learn is ridiculous. Do we spend a life time in basic training with our troops or police officers before we ask them to risk their lives to protect ours?

For your class consider a few things when choosing which techniques to include

1) Gross Motor Skills
    Under stress you will lose the ability to use fine motor skills so focus on gross motor skills. For example Irimi Nage / Ago ate Nage is much easier to learn and pull under stress than say a complicated Sankajo with a hand transition

2)Kiss
    Keep it simple Sensei
    All techniques should be 3 moves or less
    I suggest
    1) Tai sabaki (evasion) Bogyu (Block) clutch the pearls I said block
    2) Kuzushi (off balance)
    3) Execution of technique (Nage or Osae)

3) Renzoku (chain techniques together)
    Don't count on any technique being 100%. If you are teaching Sankajo and the attacker resists (clutch the pearls I said resist) show how to use the attacker’s strength and transition to something like Hiji ate Nage / Mae Otoshi or Shihonage.

4)The techniques have to work under pressure.
    Consider how some schools use Jyu waza and randori to refine their technique under pressure and against a restive partner and borrow from their methodes. What you will be teaching is Aiki-jutsu (the techniques of Aiki) so don't get hung up on philosophy. How you chose to use these techniques - to control not maim - is Aiki-do (the way of Aiki)

Good luck and remember if you choose to teach a self defense class as opposed to an Aikido class you have a responsibility to the students who are counting on these techniques to protect themselves / save their lives instead of using the training to find enlightenment by putting on Japanese pajamas and doing tumbling

Likes (received)

Kasey and Amir, both of you give good ideas to think about. Many thanks.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2