Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dislocated shoulder

Likes (received)

Default Dislocated shoulder

About ten years ago my sensei threw me and we both landed awkwardly and as we did so my shoulder dislocated. I began to spin around the mat on my back like a Ninja Turtle and somehow my shoulder popped back in.

Since then I've had a few less dramatic dislocations while yawning, sneezing etc where my shoulders have briefly popped out and gone straight back in.

But on Saturday I was grappling with one of my students and as he tried to apply a Sankaku Gatame (I was in his guard applying a Juji Jime and he lifted his legs up around my arms) my shoulder dislocated extremely painfully. I couldn't move my arm at all to pop it back in and so I got one of my other students to strap it up with a Karate belt until the end of the lesson then I had to go to hospital to have it re-set.

Apparently it was a very rare (3%) posterior dislocation. I was given a sling to wear and just today I've been to see the physio. It seems there's something in the shoulder called a "capsule" and mine is torn.

She gave me fairly sound, unsurprising advice like "take it easy for four weeks", "try not to move your shoulder above your head or behind your back" etc.

Can anybody advise me on good exercises to build up muscle around my shoulder (I am quite skinny around the shoulders) or generally any exercises to reduce the likelihood of this re-occuring.

At my class on Tuesday night I was able to teach a few throws, locks and strikes etc using my other arm but I have been reluctant to practice my (Shotokan) kata since the dislocation.

I have been practising a little bit of Tai Chi and some Chi Kung and this has seemed beneficial.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Go see a qualified Osteopath, Preferabily one with experience in sports injuries, If you have any local Judo, BJJ, Rugby or MMA clubs (they tend to pick up shoulder injuries) they may know of a decent one.

ps - its best not to apply a choke whilst inside someones legs, it only works when their weaker then you and puts your arms too far away from your body.
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

Yes I know that now!
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Keegan View Post
    ...Can anybody advise me on good exercises to build up muscle around my shoulder (I am quite skinny around the shoulders) or generally any exercises to reduce the likelihood of this re-occuring.
    Since you have a pre-existing injury, any advice given here would be unprofessional; you need specific rehab based on a good, in person, evaluation.

The various muscles of the chest, back, and shoulder -- anterior and posterior deltoids, pectoralis, subscapularis, etc., etc., etc. -- must be developed and strengthened, but they need, above all, to be balanced. That requires someone with expertise to set you up with a personal program.

I don't know by what title the proper licensed practitioners would be called in the UK; over here we call them physical therapists or occupational therapists, and you want one with a specialty in sports medicine.

HTH and good luck.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thanks for your advice guys

I'll be seeing a physiotherapist in the next few weeks hopefully.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

I pray for a speedy recovery, Simon san!
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default kata kata

Thanks Ben! Much appreciated.

I think I can do all my kata (lightly) apart from Heian Nidan, Heian Yondan, Kanku Dai and the Manji Gamae in Godan, Bassai and Jutte...

Maybe I'll just stick to my Tai Chi for a few weeks!
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

If you've actually torn the muscle capsule I would give serious thought to complete rest (and the rest of the RICE Routine) until the acute pain/swelling subsides.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/rice.htm
    Paul Greaves

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Keegan View Post
    Thanks Ben! Much appreciated.

I think I can do all my kata (lightly) apart from Heian Nidan, Heian Yondan, Kanku Dai and the Manji Gamae in Godan, Bassai and Jutte...

Maybe I'll just stick to my Tai Chi for a few weeks!
    What kind of Tai Chi? If it's the PRC Government Standard, don't you think the "single whip" movements will put some tensions on the right shoulder? I do the 24 form and 40 form too.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default Taiji

I never got round to learning the 40. I don't think I was considered good enough.

Just the 24, the 88 and the 32 step sword, as well as 97 (Sun style).

The 24 is the only one I still practice.

I think the single whip position is fine provided the elbows and shoulder are kept down which is one of the precepts of every Tai Chi posture.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bu-kusa View Post
    If you've actually torn the muscle capsule I would give serious thought to complete rest (and the rest of the RICE Routine) until the acute pain/swelling subsides.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/rice.htm
    I'm taking things very light. Even driving is causing me a bit of trouble.

Just a bit of kata practice.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Default Dislocated shoulder

I dislocated my shoulder some years ago doing push-hands (!)
    Unlike western medicine which advocates immobilization only, Chinese hit-fall medicine intervenes to "take away the dead blood," and promote healing while the joint is immobile. The usual hit-fall medecine is inappropriate for dislocations as it is applied with percussive massage; not good for dislocations. So what I used was a thick herbal goop, held in place with saran-wrap (or in your case, cling-film), and then bandaged. Changed every day, and alternating with one of those heat oils such as Zheng Gu Shui.

At the time I was also studying anatomy and biomechanics, so I ended up doing a research paper comparing "eastern" and "western" treatments. Western treatments predicted a high percentage of re-dislocations or subluxations. My shoulder never did.

So I would suggest consulting your local doctor of Chinese medicine (with all the usual caveats).
    Hope this helps.

Patrick Hutchinson

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hutchpat View Post
    Unlike western medicine which advocates immobilization only, Chinese hit-fall medicine intervenes to .
    I belive that the common ''sports advice'' nowadays is the RICE routine, which is then followed by contrasting heat and cold baths to stimulate vasoconstriction / dilation, in order to '"take away the dead blood," and promote healing while the joint is immobile'' so to speak.
    Paul Greaves

Likes (received)

Point taken. Just that the Chinese medicine application can start the same day as the injury.