Likes Likes:  0

Thread: i wonder

koshoT Guest

I wonder if it is any coincidence that the Danteian (my spelling is horrible) is at the body's center of gravity? Could this be because Yin ch'i is gravitational and naturaly wants to flow there? I have little to no idea of what I am talking about, but if anyone could share their thoughts, that'd be great. I am also curious as to exactly how meditation works. What does focusing your mind and becoming aware of the present, instead of drifting into the past or future do to the body?

Also, (on a bit of a tangent here) I went to rent the movie "Ring of Fire" and the scene with Sifu Chang was missing. I may have rented a different movie, but the movie did have the same name, and a part of the movie did take place in Java. It seemed during the movie that they would lead into the scene with Sifu Chang, but the scene was not there??? Could it be because I rented the American version? Or maybe the producer reedited the movie thinking that the scene was too "weird" for most people to watch?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.
    Thank you,
    Tom Berkery

DJM Guest

Originally posted by koshoT
    I wonder if it is any coincidence that the Danteian (my spelling is horrible) is at the body's center of gravity? Could this be because Yin ch'i is gravitational and naturaly wants to flow there? I have little to no idea of what I am talking about, but if anyone could share their thoughts, that'd be great. I am also curious as to exactly how meditation works. What does focusing your mind and becoming aware of the present, instead of drifting into the past or future do to the body?

{snip}

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.
    Thank you,
    Tom Berkery
    Tom,
    I'm not an expert on much of anything, but I do have ideas and a big mouth, so let me wax lyrical..
    I can say though, with a great deal of confidence, that I've never seen <i>Ring of Fire</i> so I can't help you there I'm afraid..

When you're talking about Tantiens (pronounced Dantien I believe) you're actually talking about 3 centres of energy - one situated at your centre of gravity (horrible term - it actually means the centre of mass), the other two being situated behind the breast bone and around the forehead.
    That said, it suggests that the reason for the hara to be situated where it is is probably pragmatic.. Having a centre of mass at the same place as the centre of energy governing the physical is just plain good sense, and an exercise in simplicity (to whit, Occams Razor..) It also indicates the link (one of many) between the physical world that we perceive directly and the non-physical world which we perceive through meditation and other diciplines, such as Zanshin.
    I hope this sheds some light on your thoughts, and if anyone else can explain things better or more accurately, please feel free to correct me!
    Peace,
    David

koshoT Guest

Wink Thank you

Well thank you for your thoughts on the issue. I see your point. The problem is that it only raises further questions?!
    Are you saying that concentrating your ch'i at the Dantien is a concious choice because it is the center of mass (thanks for the correction)? Or does the center of mass force the ch'i to concentrate there fisrt?
    Have you read The Magus of Java? It is an excellent book, by one of our own e-budo members, Kosta Danoas. Before I read that book I would have probably have agreed with most of the world in claiming that things such as ch'i do not exist. However, that book has really made me think, and now I am much more inclined ot believe in just about anything. I just don't know what can or cannot happen any more.
    I wish that the U.S. government, or any other organization for that matter, would conduct research into the phemonom of ch'i. Maybe they already have conducted research... but I still think that more study is needed on the issue.
    Thank you again for your thoughts, and any further thoughts you have I would love to hear.
    Tom Berkery