Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sekiguchi-ryu

Likes (received)

Default Sekiguchi-ryu

Ok, I know that Sekiguchi-ryu iai is a legetimate school, but I came across this video which to my unexperienced eyes seems weird. The gentlemen's name is Naohiko Hayakawa, and he claims to be the 17th head of the school. I do remember reading somewhere that there is an illegitemate break-off school in Japan, and was thinking this might be it. The re-sheating in particular seems overly complexe. It's from a documentary called "Japan's Last Samurai". So tell me what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSP4NPxI-k
    "See what cost a victory. The blood of our enemies is still the blood of men.
    True glory lays in sparring it."
    Louis XV to the Dauphin after the battle of Fontenoy(11 mai 1745).

Likes (received)

If he is an 8th dan, that usually means he has menkyo kaiden, the permission to break away. Usually. If that is the case, then if he does something more elaborate than other Sekiguchi-ryu schools, it's because he has the authority to. At least what I know of such things.
    If you refer to the beginning (the most I have time to watch currently) about wiping the tatami juice from his blade, raise it to Jodan and then do the elaborate knock, spin, and turn, he just seems to be adding in a stance that, to my knowledge, assumes that perhaps the battle isn't over with yet, when everything is all safe and secure, he'll put it in the scabbard how he feels.

Or if misinformation has been spread, and he is not a Menkyo Kaiden recipient, than he is of this "illegitimate" school. Otherwise, I see nothing amiss here.

Also, just to cover all angles, perhaps they have a different method of chiburi-noto once they reach Naiden and Okuden levels?
    Respectfully,
    Johnathan Pierson

Likes (received)

I'm assuming that this video is supposed to be some sort of joke or parody. There are several shots in the video where he is doing lousy iaido (some of it clear knock-offs of Katori kata) while wearing armor and giving incredibly feeble kiai. Behind him, his attendants are wearing mock-ups of feudal outfits as well. At one point, he's even riding a horse while his attendants carry his banner in front of him. If the whole thing isn't meant as a joke, then I fear for the man's sanity.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Mr.Pierson, I don't know anything about the gentlemen just what is on the video. And I don't train in any koryu, but I have seen quite a few legitemate ryu-ha on video and this one just looked odd. If he was a caucasian I would have thought that he combined the resheating techniques of several schools. And the way he moves, it reminds me of Madona's "Strike a Pose" video.
    "See what cost a victory. The blood of our enemies is still the blood of men.
    True glory lays in sparring it."
    Louis XV to the Dauphin after the battle of Fontenoy(11 mai 1745).

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Honestly, I've seen worse "legit" budo ... but he really seemed a bit over-dramatic all-in-all.

I suspect that, even if the dude was a real practitioner of some budo (and some of what he did DID remind me of some of one the Sekiguchi sets I've seen), he was mugging for the camera.

Wouldn't be the first time ...
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphan Thériault View Post
    Mr.Pierson, I don't know anything about the gentlemen just what is on the video. And I don't train in any koryu, but I have seen quite a few legitemate ryu-ha on video and this one just looked odd. If he was a caucasian I would have thought that he combined the resheating techniques of several schools. And the way he moves, it reminds me of Madona's "Strike a Pose" video.
    True, but you run the risk of being in contention.
    Because I don't train under him (nor did I have time to watch the full video) I was trying to cover my bases just in case he, or someone in his graces caught wind and proved to be legit, despite evidence of the video.
    Just like people who buy Cory Nemeroff books, we let them think they're doing good.

Either way, this guy had enough clout to (or went to the paparazzi) get the attention of people who were eager to film him.
    Respectfully,
    Johnathan Pierson

Likes (received)

Default Sekiguchi-ryu in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphan Thériault View Post
    Ok, I know that Sekiguchi-ryu iai is a legetimate school, but I came across this video which to my unexperienced eyes seems weird. The gentlemen's name is Naohiko Hayakawa, and he claims to be the 17th head of the school. I do remember reading somewhere that there is an illegitemate break-off school in Japan, and was thinking this might be it. The re-sheating in particular seems overly complexe. It's from a documentary called "Japan's Last Samurai". So tell me what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSP4NPxI-k
    I came across a site called Guren ryu in Japan. The teacher is Glenn Waters and it was stated that he received his first grade in Sekiguchi ryu from his father Eric Waters a teacher of Sekiguchi ryu in Australia. Does anyone know where the Australian branch of Sekiguchi ryu is located?

Matt White
    Matt White

Likes (received)

Look under the Koryu dojo finder page here. It's listed.

Adelaide used to have a dojo but I think they have reverted to mainline MJER.

There is a dojo in Armidale as well.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Default Sekiguchi ryu (jujutsu)

Thanks Matt.

Are you confusing the Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu of Sekiguchi Sensei with the Sekiguchi ryu jujutsu?
    Looking at the Guren ryu website it appears the Sekiguchi ryu (jujutsu) has been taught in Australia for several decades by Eric Waters. So I'm still trying to locate the dojo of this koryu in Australia.
    Can anyone assist?

Matt White.
    Matt White

Likes (received)

After reading this site's write up of Mr. Waters' history in Jujutsu I would suspect that he was un-associated with the branches of Sekiguchi Ryu in Japan (the Koryu schools), however, "Sekiguchi" isn't a rare name, and it's possible that one of his teachers names was used when he was teaching Mr. Waters and that the name stuck in his later descriptions of it...

I've checked the books I have here that list Sekiguchi Ryu and there is no mention of a Mr. Waters having a branch out in Australia..
    That, plus what I've seen of the Glen-Ryu Jujutsu videos would lead me to suspect a modern Jujutsu derivative (Glen-Ryu seems to have many different influences..Chinese and Japanese)..

That's just what I'd say from what I can make of the videos and history online..Of course, there may be more that hasn't been published publically..But online at least that's the sum of it..

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/jujitsu1/oct2000.htm
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

I've just noticed Pat Harrington's name in the list of teachers for Eric Waters...Perhaps there is a connection through her?She is a Menkyo in Sosuishi Ryu for sure, although I'm not sure what else she may have done...Perhaps Steve or someone else could comment on that further?

It still doesn't mean any link with Sekiguchi Ryu Jujutsu (Shinshin Ryu I'd presume?) but it's a link to Koryu..So perhaps the name came from that link?

Kind of hard to know..Have you asked Glen Waters?
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber View Post
    After reading this site's write up of Mr. Waters' history in Jujutsu I would suspect that he was un-associated with the branches of Sekiguchi Ryu in Japan (the Koryu schools), however, "Sekiguchi" isn't a rare name, and it's possible that one of his teachers names was used when he was teaching Mr. Waters and that the name stuck in his later descriptions of it...

I've checked the books I have here that list Sekiguchi Ryu and there is no mention of a Mr. Waters having a branch out in Australia..
    That, plus what I've seen of the Glen-Ryu Jujutsu videos would lead me to suspect a modern Jujutsu derivative (Glen-Ryu seems to have many different influences..Chinese and Japanese)..

That's just what I'd say from what I can make of the videos and history online..Of course, there may be more that hasn't been published publically..But online at least that's the sum of it..

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/jujitsu1/oct2000.htm
    Thank you Ben,

Matt White
    Matt White

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by mw17 View Post
    Thanks Matt.

Are you confusing the Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu of Sekiguchi Sensei with the Sekiguchi ryu jujutsu?
    Looking at the Guren ryu website it appears the Sekiguchi ryu (jujutsu) has been taught in Australia for several decades by Eric Waters. So I'm still trying to locate the dojo of this koryu in Australia.
    Can anyone assist?

Matt White.
    Hi Matt,

Perhaps, but this is in the Sword Arts forum
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Is this the person you are referring to?

http://www.glennwaters.com

Jujutsu

Tameshigiri

Tameshigiri

The jujutsu is very much gendai, that much is obvious.

The iai as it is written on the clip is battodo.

Any Toyama-ryu pracitioners out there who can give some clarification on this?

Likes (received)

It doesn't make sense to learn Toyama Ryu which is very much about keeping the sword pressuring your opponent and then do this:

Mat Rous

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast