Likes Likes:  0

Thread: English translation of Jodo Kyohan

Likes (received)

Default English translation of Jodo Kyohan

I recently have been able to get a copy of the famous Jodo Kyohan book written by Asakichi Nakajima and Tsunemori Kaminoda. Although the pictures are great it would be even better to be able to understand what is in the text. Unfortunately I do not read Japanese.
    Has anyone seen an English translation? Thank you in advance for your help.
    Jo Pieters

Likes (received)

Many years ago I saw a complete translation in English and German done by a foreign student of Kuroda or Kaminoda. It has some updated text and pointed out where photos had been reversed or omiited (P275. Photo 8 & 9 are reversed) - where is it now - dunno. I expect Kaminoda might know or might not. Good hunting
    Jim Cotter

Likes (received)

Dear Jim - thank you very much for your reply. Do you happen to know Kuroda-san's or Kaminoda-san's email address? TX, Jo

Likes (received)

If I am not mistaken Kuroda Sensei passed away a few years back. I might be mistaken though as I don't train in that line of SMR, so no offense to anyone if I am mistaken. Kaminoda Sensei doesn't speak or read English so an email to him wouldn't really be the best way to go in my opinion. He would have to get someone to translate it for him and... you know what I mean. It is Koryu after all and attention to politeness and proper form does go a long ways.

Kaminoda does have some students in the US that might be able to help you. I politely suggest that you contact these people before you try to send an English email to Japan. They might be able to help you out.

http://www.jodo.com/

If that doesn't work go down to the local University and see if you can get some native Japanese speaker to trade homework help for help reading the text. Good cultural exchange!

Be safe.

Bill Sampson

Likes (received)

Dear Bill - thanks for your valuable suggestions. Will keep track of my 'journey' through this thread.
    Jo

Likes (received)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sampson View Post

Kaminoda does have some students in the US that might be able to help you. I politely suggest that you contact these people before you try to send an English email to Japan. They might be able to help you out.

Be safe.

Bill Sampson
    Did you fully read the link you sent? I don't think they would be too helpful when it comes to Kaminoda. ..and yes Kuroda died circa 2000
    Jim Cotter

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sampson View Post

If I recall correctly, the folks at jodo.com are no longer affiliated with Kaminoda Sensei and discuss that on their website. For contact information of people in the US currently affiliated with Kaminoda Sensei, try:

http://www.capitalareabudokai.org/jodo.html

I've met some of the Capital Jodokai folks very briefly at Swordfest and thought that they seemed a very friendly bunch; I'm sure that they would be glad to help you if possible.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jfkcotter View Post
    Did you fully read the link you sent? I don't think they would be too helpful when it comes to Kaminoda. ..and yes Kuroda died circa 2000
    Thanks for the thumbs down. I did say in my post that I don't train in that line of SMR, and I didn't say they had any answers, I said they might be able to help with locating a copy of the source Jo was looking for. I know they had an affiliation at one time with Kaminoda,I didn't bother to read the site "fully", my bad I guess, I just sent the link as a friendly gesture. I'll try to be more careful in the future so I can avoid more thumbs down icons.

BS