Likes Likes:  0

Thread: where's the legitimate kung fu of this style?

Likes (received)

Cool where's the legitimate kung fu of this style?

Hello everybody, I have a question for my friend, and though I tried I'm afraid it's not something I know about, so I won't pretend to. He wants to learn a style of Kung Fu called Bak Mei (or Pak Mei) stared by a monk of the same name. I wikipedia-ed him already and searched some sites as well, however, he wants to know which sifus are legitimate and which aren't. He heard about a gym in NYC but he also read a thread on another discussion saying that it wasn't legitimate because the dates in a book written by a suppoesed student apparently didn't add up. Although I admire Kung fu, I've never practised it and would like somebody who has any knowledge about legitimate branches of this style to please tell me what the criteria would be to determine them. I know that this site is a budo site, and I practise budo, but everybody here also appreciates other styles as well, being lovers of the martial arts in general, not only budo, I imagine. If anyone does know about this style well, please tell me so that I can point this man of an empty cup in the right direction. A Thanks to everybody for their patience and thoughtfulness, Happy Chinese New Year!

Likes (received)

happy Chinese new year to you too... Gong xi Fa Chay!

As for Bak Mei (White Eyebrows) kungfu, check out this site

http://www.espytv.com/vidlist.htm

The espytv people used to produce White Eyebrow Bak Mei Kungfu videos. Maybe they still have the contact information for the Shifu who starred at the video.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default thanks, also...

Thanks alot, man. I sent them an email, but I haven't gotten a reply yet, but we'll see. I would like to know if anybody knows if there is an authoritative association of any kind for this style, as it is that I haven't found one. If there's a member in china or who knows someone who practices this style, it would be a big help to find out if you can help me. I really appreciate it. The trust of a student in their style is one of the foundations of life as a martial artist. The other is trust in their teacher, and the third is trust in themselves. Let's see if we can knock the first one out of the way. thanks again.

Likes (received)

Default incidentally...

It is very interesting to note that the monk, Bak Mei (Pak Mei) was actually Pai mei (maybe you know him from Kill Bill or the Shaw brothers' films). Pai Mei was another name used for him, it was the theatrical name as well. Pretty cool to me, even though I've never done kung fu. Just thought I'd mention that interesting tidbit. cheers.

Likes (received)

Default Pai Mei/Pak Mei

Different regional/dialectical pronounciations of the same name (White Eyebrow), so yes, same from the Shaw Brothers' movies.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Default been trying some kung fu myself now

I've been practicing some kung fu with a friend for the first time these past few days, the difference between it a karate is even smaller than I originally thought. Besides different exaggerations it's almost the same in all it's principles. Yes, depending on the style there's wider or higher stances, and different katas, but the moves are almost the same in most aspects, although slightly altered. Very cool to know, I'd like to see some competitions between karate and kung fu, does anybody know if there are any?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by brendan V Lanza View Post
    Thanks alot, man. I sent them an email, but I haven't gotten a reply yet, but we'll see. I would like to know if anybody knows if there is an authoritative association of any kind for this style, as it is that I haven't found one. If there's a member in china or who knows someone who practices this style, it would be a big help to find out if you can help me. I really appreciate it. The trust of a student in their style is one of the foundations of life as a martial artist. The other is trust in their teacher, and the third is trust in themselves. Let's see if we can knock the first one out of the way. thanks again.
    I don't do Bak Mei Kuen, I do mostly Tai Chi and southern Kuntao. But maybe my teacher knows something about Bak Mei practitioners in South East Asia or in China. We'll keep you posted.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).