Likes Likes:  0

Thread: General Moaning

Likes (received)

Default General Moaning

I just got back into Bujinkan training this last week after a hiatus of several years and have discovered 2 things:

• Taijutsu is a perishable skill
    • I'm just as sore this time as the first time

My taijutsu has gone down the toilet while I've been away, more's the pity. Turns out that where I'm studying, there are two high intensity classes and one low intensity 'basics' class per week. I did all right after the low intensity class, but the two high intensity classes left me barely able to *move* the following day, especially the Saturday class. I'm certainly glad for the two days of recovery after the Saturday class - *sheesh*.

I've got deep purple and green bruises on nearly every part of my anatomy, a possibly broken toe, and I'm just now, two days after my last class, regaining the full range of motion in my left thumb, which is a lurid purple, extending down into my wrist. I think I may have been lightly concussed on that day as well - when I got home I kept dropping things and when I decided on a nap ended up sleeping for about six hours before my wife reluctantly woke me up to see if I was hungry.

I recall this feeling well - from my very first time training Bujinkan. It lasted through about the first two months, after which I kind of fell into the swing of it and didn't wake up *quite* so sore on mornings following training, and didn't have *quite* the colorful panorama of bruises.

*grin*

It's good to be back.
    Carl Hamlin
    -----------------------------------------
    'The etiquette that underlies all martial arts is based on the assumption that the person with whom you are dealing is standing before you wearing three feet of razor sharp steel.' - George Ledyard

Likes (received)

Welcome back to hardcore training. MAybe a few more "basics" class were in order before the plunge. I keep lots of Arnica gell around for the bruising (helps to heal them quicker) and China gell for muscle soreness (swear by it). There will come a time when all those bruises, aches and pains will become a non issue again for you but then again maybe not if your in your 50's . Good luck and keep training.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jitsumania View Post
    Welcome back to hardcore training.
    Thank you - it's good to be back.

MAybe a few more "basics" class were in order before the plunge.
    I figure the basics classes are there whether I go to the high intensity classes or not, and I like to get in as much training as possible. The soreness reminds me of what I'm trying to do, I suppose.

I keep lots of Arnica gell around for the bruising (helps to heal them quicker) and China gell for muscle soreness (swear by it).
    Yeah? I'll have to see where I can get those locally.

There will come a time when all those bruises, aches and pains will become a non issue again for you but then again maybe not if your in your 50's
    Nope. I'm still mid-30's, and hoping to see improvement in my soreness levels after a month or two.

Good luck and keep training.
    Thank you.
    Carl Hamlin
    'The etiquette that underlies all martial arts is based on the assumption that the person with whom you are dealing is standing before you wearing three feet of razor sharp steel.' - George Ledyard

Likes (received)

Hi Carl,

In order for your training to become sustainable, the high level effort you put forth must be cycled with rest and recovery. Growth and improvement happen during the rest periods, not during the effort phase. If want to be able to sustain the high intensity classes, rest and recovery are critical.
    Recovery can be in the form of a daily joint mobility session, yoga to release muscle tension and act as compensatory movement, or even a light jog to get blood flowing into the muscles.

Good luck with your training!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kukan99 View Post
    In order for your training to become sustainable, the high level effort you put forth must be cycled with rest and recovery. Growth and improvement happen during the rest periods, not during the effort phase. If want to be able to sustain the high intensity classes, rest and recovery are critical.
    Recovery can be in the form of a daily joint mobility session, yoga to release muscle tension and act as compensatory movement, or even a light jog to get blood flowing into the muscles.
    Thank you for reminding me. I currently train Bujinkan three times per week - Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On every off day except Sunday, I either run an athletics trail located at a pond nearby my house, or I go to the YMCA and do cardio and weights. My daughter participates in a yoga class there, and has been showing me some interesting things.

Before and after each session, be it Bujinkan or general conditioning I do warm up and cool down, complete with range of motion exercises.

Good luck with your training!
    Thank you.
    Carl Hamlin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ssanutokh View Post
    Thank you for reminding me. I currently train Bujinkan three times per week - Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On every off day except Sunday, I either run an athletics trail located at a pond nearby my house, or I go to the YMCA and do cardio and weights. My daughter participates in a yoga class there, and has been showing me some interesting things.

Before and after each session, be it Bujinkan or general conditioning I do warm up and cool down, complete with range of motion exercises.
    Sounds like you have quite a well-rounded training regimen. I'm sorry if my post came off like I was talking down to you. I was basing my reply only on the info provided in your first post, and trying to help.

Likes (received)

Sounds like you have quite a well-rounded training regimen. I'm sorry if my post came off like I was talking down to you.
    Not at all.

I was basing my reply only on the info provided in your first post, and trying to help.
    I know. I didn't think you were trying to talk down to me, and I always enjoy the camraderie associated with sharing information.
    Carl Hamlin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ssanutokh View Post
    ...I think I may have been lightly concussed on that day as well - when I got home I kept dropping things and when I decided on a nap ended up sleeping for about six hours before my wife reluctantly woke me up to see if I was hungry...
    Take care, head injuries can be insidious.

Reading through some of the incident descriptions of Natasha Richardson's skiing accident, apparently she got up and was walking around immediately after the accident, with few if any symptoms. In fact she was "well" enough to refuse treatment.

Not saying your situation was the same. We all accept a high degree of impact on our bodies from our training. Just encouraging you (and others) to stay well and keep a close eye on any similar future incidents.

b