Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Which koryu/sword style do you do?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Muso Shinden Ryu

44 24.72%
  • Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu

55 30.90%
  • Tamiya Ryu

7 3.93%
  • Hoki Ryu

4 2.25%
  • Mugai Ryu

22 12.36%
  • Katori Shinto Ryu

21 11.80%
  • Shinkage Ryu

8 4.49%
  • Suio Ryu

12 6.74%
  • Tatsumi Ryu

4 2.25%
  • Toyama Ryu (or other Nakamura Ryu)

19 10.67%
  • Shindo Munen Ryu

2 1.12%
  • Take No Uchi Ryu

4 2.25%
  • Sekiguchi Ryu

2 1.12%
  • Seigo Ryu

3 1.69%
  • Other

23 12.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Iai Koryu do you do?

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Angry Why So Few Responses??

Considering that probably half of us train in more than one koryu, I estimate that only about 50 have bothered to respond. I also think we should consider iai & kenjutsu to be koryu for the purpose of this survey.

I really find this poll to be interesting, Andy. Thanks for posting it.
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Default .

Thanks Ken

At the bottom of the chart it shows some 117 people have responded. Still not a huge number given the number of views.

I will do a kenjutsu poll shortly and am in need of a list of popular ones. So far...

(Kasumi) Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu
    Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu
    Maniwa Nen Ryu
    Jikishinkage Ryu
    Suio Ryu
    Itto Ryu
    Tatsumi Ryu

More contributions would be welcome...
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Maniwa nen ryu is popular?

You should differientiate the ha also, like TSKSR Sugino Ha or the Yagyu shinkage ryu branches, it might get your poll even more interesting. Anyhow just list all of those on koryu.com, we never know who visits here.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Chouinard View Post
    Maniwa nen ryu is popular?

You should differientiate the ha also, like TSKSR Sugino Ha or the Yagyu shinkage ryu branches, it might get your poll even more interesting. Anyhow just list all of those on koryu.com, we never know who visits here.
    I don't see why. Izaza soke sponsored Sugino Yukihiro at Meiji Jingu a couple of years back. It's not really a bunpa, it's just a different shihan's teaching method at the end of the day.

Likes (received)

I think Yagyu Shinkage-ryu would get a few hits. You may want to break up Itto-ryu too since there is a strong Ono-ha Itto-ryu following in the US and a strong Mizoguchi-ha Itto-ryu following in the UK. The others maybe not so much. I don' thtink anyone outside of Japan does Muto-ryu or Kogen Itto-ryu.

Best regards,
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    there is a strong Ono-ha Itto-ryu following in the US and a strong Mizoguchi-ha Itto-ryu following in the UK.
    Really?

I didn't know that. I don't suppose you have links?

Cheers,
    Regards,

Jeffrey Luz-Alterman

Likes (received)

The Jikishinkai (MJER) has formed a strong relationship with Sasamori sensei. They hosted Sasamori sensei for a US seminar this past spring in New Jersey. I would contact Masayuki Shimabukuro sensei or Carl Long sensei for more information. http://www.jikishin-kai.com/

A number of kendoka in the UK follow the Mizuguchi-ha Itto-ryu. One of the high ranked teachers who travels there teaches them (maybe an Ogawa sensei?) try the British Kendo Association: http://www.kendo.org.uk/

Best regards,
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

The Jikishinkai (MJER) has formed a strong relationship with Sasamori sensei. They hosted Sasamori sensei for a US seminar this past spring in New Jersey. I would contact Masayuki Shimabukuro sensei or Carl Long sensei for more information. http://www.jikishin-kai.com/

A number of kendoka in the UK follow the Mizuguchi-ha Itto-ryu. One of the high ranked teachers who travels there teaches them (maybe an Ogawa sensei?) try the British Kendo Association: http://www.kendo.org.uk/

Best regards,
    Okay. That makes sense. I heard about the seminar in NJ with Sasamori Sensei. I thought you were talking about Itto-ryu branch dojos and the like.

Thanks!
    Regards,

Jeffrey Luz-Alterman

Likes (received)

I don't see why. Izaza soke sponsored Sugino Yukihiro at Meiji Jingu a couple of years back. It's not really a bunpa, it's just a different shihan's teaching method at the end of the day.
    There are still a bunch of people who consider themselves in the Sugino ha. The poll would be an indicator of it.

Likes (received)

Try contacting the Jikishinkai. I don't know if anyone in the group has a full dojo yet but they are very serious about their budo and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened sooner or later. I think several of their branches train in Itto-ryu (I could be wrong). Again try giving them a call and I'm sure they can give you more details.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Chouinard View Post
    There are still a bunch of people who consider themselves in the Sugino ha. The poll would be an indicator of it.
    And by the way, is Sugino considered a shihan too? I thought there was only one?

Likes (received)

Try contacting the Jikishinkai. I don't know if anyone in the group has a full dojo yet but they are very serious about their budo and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened sooner or later. I think several of their branches train in Itto-ryu (I could be wrong). Again try giving them a call and I'm sure they can give you more details.
    Thanks for the info. I've got quite enough on my plate as it is! I was just curious because a few years back I had done some research on Itto-ryu in the U.S. and didn't turn up much.
    Regards,

Jeffrey Luz-Alterman

Likes (received)

Yeah I was researching it too, and found almost nothing. All of the sudden its popping everywhere (well a few places anyway).

BTW, I went to the seminar in NJ and it was a great time. Sasamori sensei was very kind and generous. If he comes back to the US I think it is worth the time to train with him. I don't even have the ability to really continue what I learned but it was still a good time and I'm glad I went.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

Likes (received)

If he comes back to the US I think it is worth the time to train with him.
    I second that. Sasamori Sensei was quite impressive both as a martial artist and, for lack of another term, a gentleman. If a long-term residency in Japan were in my immediate future he would not be at the bottom of my list of people to train under for the long haul. I suspect he would provide an excellent example both in and out of the dojo.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Watson View Post
    More contributions would be welcome...
    Please, please, no ninja's . Of course if they really are ninja's they will be slipping in under the disguise of another ryu and we will never be the wiser
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast