Likes Likes:  0

Thread: WSKO homepage

Likes (received)

Default WSKO homepage

Just wondering what non-kenshi make of shorinji kempo when the access the WSKO homepage?

http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/wsko/index.html

Have a look and I look forward to your comments.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

I am non Kenshi and I see nothing wrong with the page. It looks good, it is informative, it has good words such as "Shorinji Kempo is against drug abuse and doping", it has reports from all over the world, which gives the impressions of a well-run and well-managed International organization.

Although the statement "Shorinji Kempo is a martial art founded in 1947 by So Doshin" might be a little bit surprising to some Indonesian Kenshi
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3 View Post
    Although the statement "Shorinji Kempo is a martial art founded in 1947 by So Doshin" might be a little bit surprising to some Indonesian Kenshi
    What do you mean by that?
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

I think we've heard here before, that in Indonesia the history of Shorinji Kempo that is passed down.. places more emphasis on the roots before Kaiso, eg. Bodhidharma and the Shaolin Temple in China. Here in UK and other countries where a proliferation of similar arts all claim that kind of heritage, WSKO and the local Branch Masters seem to be more keen to emphasise the influence of Kaiso and talk about Shorinji Kempo as a "New" art.

When every Tom, Dick and Harry claim descent from the Shaolin Temple, it makes more sense to concentrate on what makes us different.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3 View Post
    It looks good, it is informative, it has good words such as "Shorinji Kempo is against drug abuse and doping", it has reports from all over the world, which gives the impressions of a well-run and well-managed International organization.
    .....and it shows a certain senior Kenshi from a Far Northern branch teaching philosophy to someone from the 'Naughty List'.

I had no idea we were so influential!!

Paul

Likes (received)

'Naughty List' ???
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

Likes (received)

That's one big website. I tried to read through it this morning, but I'm out of time and haven't gotten all the way through the links. I'll have to take another look later on today.

However, one of the first things that strikes me is the amount of redundancy. Under the "What's Shorinji Kempo" link, there are sections touching on So Doshin's goals and reasons for creating the art, the art's technical syllabus, the art's philosophy, etc. But then under other links there are entirely separate sections on history, philosophy, and techniques, much of which seems to repeat the information that was found under the "What's Shorinji Kempo" link. There's so much stuff there that it's already hard for a casual observer to absorb all of it. Having the same stuff up twice put me off a bit.

I'll try to read through the rest of the website later today and give a more detailed account of my impressions then.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Halfway down the page is a photo of Father Christmas, St. Nick, Santa Claus, Chris Kringle, whatever your prefered form of address is, performing a Mae Yubi Gatame on someone who is obviously getting coal in his stocking this year!!
    Does nobody actually look at the pages? (only chose this smiley coz I just found him and he looks a bit like me).
    And Kari, you should know, he'll be part of your Federation.

Kesshu
    Paul
    Last edited by paul browne; 10th February 2009 at 22:50. Reason: Afterthought

Likes (received)

Default Christmas carol

Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by Kari MakiKuutti View Post
    'Naughty List' ???
    "He's making a list
    He's checking it twice
    He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice …"

These things may seem natural to native speakers, obviously they're not necessarily to us as well.
    Only today I did not get what an Austrian told me on the net because she used a perfectly 'German' term that simply isn't in use in Germany.
    I guess we'll just have to cope with the language barrier … it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Jan,

You are quite right, in my belated festive excitement I forgot that Father Christmas likes to mix it up a bit as he crosses the globe, doing different things in different places. So, apologies to Kari (but I do think your whole federation should adopt the hooded red Hoi look)

Regards
    Paul

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    I think we've heard here before, that in Indonesia the history of Shorinji Kempo that is passed down.. places more emphasis on the roots before Kaiso, eg. Bodhidharma and the Shaolin Temple in China. Here in UK and other countries where a proliferation of similar arts all claim that kind of heritage, WSKO and the local Branch Masters seem to be more keen to emphasise the influence of Kaiso and talk about Shorinji Kempo as a "New" art.

When every Tom, Dick and Harry claim descent from the Shaolin Temple, it makes more sense to concentrate on what makes us different.
    I was about to reply but Noble san fingers are much faster than my brain Thank you for the explanation. Noble san is 100% right.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).