Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fukasa-Ryu

Likes (received)

I know you don't imply it, but "Pretty popular" doesn't mean legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McGloin View Post
    Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I just learned that this Fukasa-ryu stuff has been taught at my local YW-MHA for the last few years and is pretty popular. I've attached the catalogue listing for the program below. "Fully Asian accredited"!?! Gotta love it!

The Art of the Samurai Sword
    Adults: 14 Sundays, 2:30-4:00pm
    This ancient martial art has modern practical fitness goals in mind. Training includes a mental and physical (cardio and strength) workout. In class, students wear traditional uniforms and use metal and wooden swords, learning the complete art of the Samurai. Beginners and returning students welcome. Instructor: Gregory Zenon, Kyoshi Black Belt in Samurai Sword (Iai-Jutsu and Ken-Jutsu). Kyoshi Level Sensei, Fukasa-Ryu Bujutsu Ryu, fully Asian accredited.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Hello Fredrik,

I was fairly certain that Fukasa-ryu was not a legitimate ryu or ryu-ha, but thank you for making that point.

Yesterday, I just happened to see a flier on a community bulletin board at my grocery store advertising this group. The name "Fukasa" triggered my small, reptilian mind's recall mechanism and I remembered that there had once been a discussion on this forum with regard to this "art". Just thought I'd post this as a follow up. The group is still around and is still drawing in those who don't know any better and giving rank.

With regard to it being "pretty popular", unfortunately, where I live, no one is going to bother to seek out, or even question, the legitimacy of any school of "budo". I certainly did not mean to suggest that I believed that this was a legitimate ryu with a recorded and traceable lineage. I'm still cracking up at the "fully Asian accredited" bit.
    Last edited by Gene McGloin; 22nd February 2011 at 23:56.
    Gene McGloin

-Truth does not require your belief in order to function.

Likes (received)

Fukasa-ryu is not legitimate ryu. It was found in 2000 by Cary Nemeroff.

I have a full list of legitimate Koryu Schools in Japan. Anyone interested can contact me.

Regards,
    Pavel Danov
    The Dark Side Of The Force Is a Pathway To Many Abilities Some Considerd To Be ... Unnatural!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dormas View Post
    Fukasa-ryu is not legitimate ryu. It was found in 2000 by Cary Nemeroff.
    I'm guessing this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgdWRcqZvQ would tbe the same Cary Nemeroff.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27 View Post
    I'm guessing this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgdWRcqZvQ would tbe the same Cary Nemeroff.
    The very same.
    The Dark Side Of The Force Is a Pathway To Many Abilities Some Considerd To Be ... Unnatural!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3