Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Forlorn Situation

Likes (received)

Default A Forlorn Situation

A Forlorn Situation

Yesterday, I and a cohort were discussing martial arts. I rarely discuss martial arts at the work place, from past experiences, opinions are strong and like politics, emotions can incite many arguments. However, with speaking in terms of fighting, these arguments can become physical.

Anyway, this colleague told me of a man he came across, whom had practiced “Iron Shirt Kung Fu”, and was real good at it. Ever the skeptic and curious, I had asked him; “How can you tell if he is good?” He had said “Because he allowed me to punch him as hard as I could in his abs/stomach”.

He had noticed my visage expression as he had also said “Honest – this guy took my best shot as hard as I could”. I had inquired, per a demonstration, on how his strike was done. Looking upon it, I gave comment on how his strike lacked power that he could have used. I had also known that he had studied Shotokan for a few years. His demonstration of his strike / punch did not include such manner of power that should have been generated. I guess he did not want to hear any more of my comments, as he had invited me to go with him and visit this “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”. I was reluctant to go with him to the “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”, but because he wanted to actually study and sign up, I went.

Arriving there after work, I took observation of many things. The name of his school, per style read Shaolin _____ Ryu, and with it, he had a design of the Yin / Yang. This is odd because he had mixed a Chinese term with an Okinawa/Japanese one. And the yin/yang symbol is a Taoist one, which is not Shaolin, of Buddhist influence. (Which the symbol for many of those sects was the swastika - but other Indian sects had used it also)

He also had a Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and Ninja poster, all framed and neatly hung. He had mixed Chinese terms with Korean and Japanese, and incorrectly aligned their meanings I guess in an attempt to demonstrate lingual ability and perhaps more martial art knowledge. After my observations and brief discussion on other martial art subjects, my cohort suggested that he allow me to strike / punch.

I was pendulous, but after their persistence, along with my desire of scrutiny, I agreed. The “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master” gave me instructions, and after his “preparation”, I was only allowed to strike the torso of the chest and stomach area(s). After be given the instruction to strike, I had delivered a vertical punch, with my right hand, to his chest, where his sternum met the stomach. He discharged a huge breath of air, and then collapsed in agony to the floor. He was gasping for air in the likeness of a fish out of water. I gave him instructions on how to regain his composure.

After his recovery, he and my colleague stated that I had performed my strike incorrectly. That the situation “wasn’t supposed to happen that way”. I was also informed, that I “struck too hard”. Other comments were; “I was far better trained”, and “my Chi had cause my strike to overcome his focus”.
    Given the fact, that I used my right hand, which is not as strong as my left hand. That I did not use my total power force, as I did not apply my waist/hips/and other body momentum. Given that all I had done was from a relaxed stance, extended my arm/fist to the target. Hmmnnn…..

After all of this, my cohort, in a surreptitious manner, had still signed up and started to study from this “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”.

Any thoughts?
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

There are few limits to how far self-delusion will go...........sadly I esp like the comment where your "chi....overcame" the masters focus....mainly because it rather strongly indicates that there is NO reason to study with this guy at all.........if your "chi" is ALREADY "stonger than his focus" then there would seem to be no reason for ANYONE to need to train with him......perhaps they should study with who taught YOU.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Start a club teaching Iron Palm

Some folks just don't like reality much, don't feel bad about, that's their journey, maybe they will learn, you made your point.
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Maybe you should teach him the golden jewels kick. Do the kick and see 2 spheres appear in his throat.

That to me is money well spent.

Likes (received)

I will teach you ...Iron Underwear Kung Fu ...
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

I loved that Jim Carey schtick...great stuff...Like "Tae Kwon Leap-Boot to the Head"
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

The only question I would have is if you did attack him "wrong."

What I mean is that you know full well the "gag," so to speak, and you know the guy is expecting a certain "attack." The guy may be a charlatan, but if you deviate from what he expects to prove this, it seems a bit gratuitous to me. Better to simply walk away and have him say something like, "That guy doesn't know what he is doing" then prove you do know what you are doing in such a silly situation like this by really hurting the guy.

Again, I don’t doubt the guy was prepared for a very specific attack delivered in a very specific way. I’m just not sure your stake in this was enough to really hurt the guy. Your friend at work may love studying with this guy. You communicate your misgivings and leave it at that. Or you say to Mr. Iron-Shirt, “Listen, I’ve trained a long time myself and just wouldn’t hit you like this. It would be counter to what I have been taught in regards to effective striking. I understand what you are trying to do, but count me out.”

In others words, was laying this guy out worth it to you?

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

The guy wasnt hurt bad. Just knocked a little wind out. I wasnt trying to hurt him. I didnt use my full power. The thing with iron shirt, is being able to take the blow. I haven't found any demostration of any Qi gong, actually having worth past the parlor tricks they are. They begged me to participate. He told me he was ready. They knew I had studied martial arts. It was all about proving to me he had something superior.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    After all of this, my cohort, in a surreptitious manner, had still signed up and started to study from this “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”.

Any thoughts?
    Yes. Exactly two:

1. The Iron shirt, both master and style, is a total fake.

2. Your coworker is an idiot, as even a shred of research, coupled with your demonstration, would have put off anyone with even a shred of intelligence.

Sorry to sound harsh.

Daniel
    Daniel Sullivan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Sullivan View Post
    Yes. Exactly two:

1. The Iron shirt, both master and style, is a total fake.

2. Your coworker is an idiot, as even a shred of research, coupled with your demonstration, would have put off anyone with even a shred of intelligence.

Sorry to sound harsh.

Daniel

Daniel, I wanted to point out, in my early years of being a martial artist, way back in the 60's, we took all of these "Super Human Chi Demos" in awe - no skepticism. In my teens, I dressed as a clown for kids to earn extra money. That gig turned me towards other people in simular entertainment, specifically, magic shows. I discovered a local Magicians' Guilde, and they helped each other hone skills. As I told and showed them these "martial art feats", it was proven how all of it was "parlor magic". However, that said, in likeness as a magician having to prepare their bodies, martial artists doing said demos had to do the same.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

It was all about proving to me he had something superior.
    But you knew, first, that he didn't and second, that he was going to get hurt.

I certainly wasn't there, so I don't know the actual pressure to participate and whether or not it was a lighthearted enviornment.

I guess it just comes down to two possible reactions to this guy: "OK, you asked for it," and "Listen, I really don't want to hurt you, so I'm walking away. This is just silly and a waste of my time."

I would think it just wouldn't be worth your time to go through this.

I don't study an open-hand art, but if a co-worker told me about some guy cutting fruit blindfolded down on the corner and that I should go check it out, I would be as polite as I could in putting him off until finally I made it clear that it wasn't worth my time.

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Cantwell View Post
    But you knew, first, that he didn't and second, that he was going to get hurt.

I certainly wasn't there, so I don't know the actual pressure to participate and whether or not it was a lighthearted enviornment.

I guess it just comes down to two possible reactions to this guy: "OK, you asked for it," and "Listen, I really don't want to hurt you, so I'm walking away. This is just silly and a waste of my time."

I would think it just wouldn't be worth your time to go through this.

I don't study an open-hand art, but if a co-worker told me about some guy cutting fruit blindfolded down on the corner and that I should go check it out, I would be as polite as I could in putting him off until finally I made it clear that it wasn't worth my time.

Kevin Cantwell

Yes, you were not there.

I kept sayng that I did not want to. But they kept assuring me otherwise.

Actually, I didn't think he was going to fall so easily. The pressure was on, and, at first, I was reluctant to do anything. As a martial artist, I remained in control all the way to the strike. Sometimes a little action is needed to curtail such perturbation.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Any thoughts?
    My thoughts on your friend are: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

On a side note, supposedly this is pretty much what killed Houdini. He was famous for his muscle control. Once a young boxer asked for permission to punch Houdini in the stomach, which Houdini granted. Apparently he had a reputation for being able to take really hard punches to the gut with no reaction. Unfortunately, the boxer struck before Houdini had had time to prep his muscles and the blow caused internal damage which contributed to his final sickness. Or that's the legend I've read.

Point being that there are plenty of guys out there who have some tricks for taking a punch; under the right circumstances, with the right preparation, I'm sure some of those work. I've read that some guys, given the time and preparation, can draw their testicles up into their bodies and receive a blow to the family jewels without pain. Who knows?

He thought he could take the blow, you had reason to believe that he could at least partially take a blow, and you didn't even hit him full-force. His problem for not being able to fulfill his own delusions. As far as your friend training with the guy, well, some people will go to strange lengths to avoid reality.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    On a side note, supposedly this is pretty much what killed Houdini. He was famous for his muscle control. Once a young boxer asked for permission to punch Houdini in the stomach, which Houdini granted. Apparently he had a reputation for being able to take really hard punches to the gut with no reaction. Unfortunately, the boxer struck before Houdini had had time to prep his muscles and the blow caused internal damage which contributed to his final sickness. Or that's the legend I've read..
    While it's likely that we'll never really know for sure, Houdini's death from peritonitis was likely from an appendix that was ready to burst before he was hit, and he was, by some accounts (and the accounts of those present all vary), already sick. The fact that he went on to perform and travelinstead of seeking medical care when he should, and the technological state of what medical care he could get at the time were also contributing factors.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast