Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where did Funakoshi teach in okinawa

Likes (received)

Default Where did Funakoshi teach in okinawa

I recently was reviewing old forum post on Funakoshi (not on this forum) when I saw someone state that Funakoshi never taught karate in the Okinawan schools.

I guess I'm guilty of assumption because it just seemed obvious that the schoolteacher would teach karate in the school. I know that he taught karate in Okinawa because he says he got permission from Azato and Itosu to teach (Karate-Do My Way of Life). I also remember something from nagamine where he said they (Okinawan school children) used to laugh about his mole and that he was know as the "Pinan sensei".

Anyone know where he taught?
    Bill Bent
    "happiness can't buy money"

Likes (received)

I do not know the specifics of how it came about but I believe either Shinken Taira or Akamine Eisuke were students of Funakoshi on Okinawa.I think Akamine Hiroshi may still teach Funakoshi Shorin Ryu at the honbu dojo for the Hozon Shinko Kai. I think maybe Tim Jurgens sensei would be the one to ask for info about this.

Tom Hodges

Likes (received)

In Shoshin Nagamine's book "Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters", Nagamine says that when he was in the third grade, Itosu taught Naihanchi and Pinan at Tomari Elementary School. He also mentions some Japanese Naval officers who studied for a week under Funakoshi at the prefectural junior high school, so it might be assumed that Funakoshi also taught there.

Likes (received)

Default Where did Funakoshi teach?

Thank you for your replies. Harry Cook was also kind enough to e-mail me with references substantiating that Funakoshi did indeed teach in the school system.

Again thanks.
    Bill Bent
    "happiness can't buy money"

Likes (received)

Seems that Shinken Taira was probably the most neglected of all serious students of Funakoshi. Starting in 1922 or 1923 when he met Funakoshi at Meisei-juku, he continued training and assisisting and opened a Dojo in Gunma in 1933. He continued and went back to Okinawa in 1940 or so. Meaning he was one, if not THE student in pre-war time under Funakoshi. He just didn't call it Shotokan.

If I was a Shotokan guy I would seek out nothing else but the dojo representing Taira's lineage to maybe find one or two traces of the teachings of the man who started "my" tradition.
    Best regards

Andreas Quast

We are Pope!