Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Iai/Battou/Kenjutsu in Miami, FL

Likes (received)

Default Iai/Battou/Kenjutsu in Miami, FL

Hi all. I'm currently looking for a new place to train in Japanese swordsmanship. I'm am not looking for a Kendo dojo. I did Kendo for over a year when I was in high school, and while I had a lot of fun doing it, the modernized, competitive form of swordsmanship that it teaches isn't wasn't what I was looking for.

I was previously a member of a the South Florida Kendo Club, and am well aware that they have a sister club dedicated to Iaido, but for personal reasons, I can no longer attend these clubs. (And before anyone asks, no, I wasn't kicked out or anything like that, nor does the reason has nothing to do with Nieves-sensei or any of the members there. In fact, I whole-heatedly endorse both clubs, and recommend them to any other JSA enthusiasts here in the South Florida area, as they really are top-notch.)

I had heard that some Aikido schools also teach Iaido on the side. I wouldn't be adverse to joining one of these schools, so long as I wouldn't be required to also take part in the Aikido training.
    Jack Faros

Likes (received)

Other than Iaido Miami, which is Nieves Sensei's dojo, then only other one that I have knowledge of is the Miami Komei Jyuku Dojo (actually in Hialeah). Here's a link:

http://miami-komei-jyuku.org/home.htm
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hello Jack! I know that this thread is very old, but if you are still following it and you are still looking for a Kenjutsu dojo in Miami, Florida, please go to our website: www.jigenryuflorida.com . Our dojo, Florida Satsunankai, teaches Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu. We are an official branch of Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu Hyouhou Sougou Budo Genshinkai, the sole legitimate organization for this art in Japan. We train all tuesdays and saturdays. You can send me a message or go to the Contact Us section in our website. Thanks!!
    R. Diaz