Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Explain this technique please

Likes (received)

Default net technique

I have to agree with Vengel Sensei in much he has to say. An un-educated student will fall over just about anything we discuss here. The actual basics are what is necessary to achieve a level of understanding of the simpliest application, which are right in your hojo undo. All the "basic" precepts of your kata are interwoven within the context of your basics workout of class, punching drills, walking drills, blocking and intercepting drills etc. Without these, kata is just a bunch of movement that shows only what can be learned from the surface, not much, and usually wrong assumptions about what is really there. In my studies of Karate-Do and those involved I have found many the individual that admonishes those that would show these fighting principles they classify as too dangerous for the public or say they can fall into the wrong hands. In most cases (please don't personalize this ok guys) they don't know what the true application is themselves. So they shroud it in mystery. Karate techniques are dangerous, ALL of them. The intent of certain individuals that wish to know these principles is what should be at question. Maybe we should have more private discussions if any of you think that certain waza shouldn't be discussed here, just a thought. Many of us already do to some extent. But sharing is part of what this forum is about anyhow. Should we screen people for rank verification so we don't have to be "worried" about who knows what? I don't think so, I know quite a few Seniors I won't show anything to.
    Hank Irwin
    www.geocities.com/bushinoji
    A.O.A.
    Academy of Okinawan Arts

walking_sword Guest

Question

Well, grabbing as I know is very effective. When I spar with my friend two days ago, I grabbed him and before I could tighten my grip on him -- he gets away with it with speed about twice or more than twice of mine. Well people, what can you recommend? As I see it now, I'm quite a loss because my muscles are painful this moment. Can you give me some hints without using more and more speed?If not, please give me tips on how to improve speed. Thanks for reading.

Likes (received)

Default Speed

Walking Sword,

First, it is policy on E-budo to sign the end of your posts with your full name. You can use the signature tool to preconfigure a signature for you.

I am not sure if your post belongs in this thread, perhaps you should start a new thread on your particular topic.

As you are here, I will give you my impressions, whatever they are worth.

Speed is a tricky thing in combat. Often if you move with lot of speed you tend to not move smoothly. This produces a lot of extra movement (up down, left right, etc.) that sets off the motor reflexes in your opponent due to the functions of peripheral vision. We sense motion using the edges of our vision, a wonderful defense mechanism. So, more speed may not be your answer, but rather more relaxed and fluid motion.

This is one of the reasons beginners are taught not to bounce up and down in their kata movements, among many others.

When grabbing your opponent, did you reach out with an arm and grab, leaving a lot of space, or did you move in with your body and allow your hand to contact them, (taking up space, hiding your intention, and causing less jumpy speed). If I reach for you, you can react. If I slide up to you with smooth level motion and then grab you when my hand contacts your body, your chances of reacting are reduced. I am not saying this is fool proof, but you might want to work on it.

Just my opinions and experiences, it has worked for me.

However, I would suggest moving this to a new thread for future discussion. It will decrease confusion.

Glenn R. Manry
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Maverick Guest

Did anybody ever explain the technique?

Likes (received)

Mike Sensei, did you read through the whole thread? It did seem like we got off track a little though. We need to start injecting some photos I think, would clarify things a little better. What do you guy's think? I will down load some tonight or tomorrow so when I explain a technique, the understanding will be a little clearer.
    Hank Irwin
    www.geocities.com/bushinoji
    A.O.A.
    Academy of Okinawan Arts

walking_sword Guest

Default To Gmanry: Thank you very, very much for the

First, Sorry for not signing my name after the post. That goes for everybody too.

Second thing, Thank you very, very much for the things that you told me. I find those things very rare in places like this... the cyberspace. You are the only ones who told me that. My partner last time in that sparring session is our fastest mover in our peer; and he never told me that.

Third thing, If you suggest that my last post will be moved, that's fine with me. Or, maybe I should save your post in my e-mail address and delete my post... because I'm a little out of the topic just as you've said. But don't worry, I expect my post to be a question to answer. For me, a question can be forgotten after it was answered... just like an enemy attack, it is sometimes usual to forget how your opponent does it when you already countered it.

Well, I have not saved your post yet. I will save it days later or maybe weeks later because I use our library's internet station...and it is very expensive to download here. I'll just remember where is your post.

Joseph L. Baptista

Maverick Guest

Just kidding guys. I love the way conversations meander around.

Pictures would be great. I've bought the first couple of books in the "Best Karate" series, which has helped understand the Japanese terminology.

By the way Hank, I prefer to go by Sijo! :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3