Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Excellent Old(ish) Shorinji Kempo clip

Likes (received)

Default Excellent Old(ish) Shorinji Kempo clip

Gassho,

The attached clip contains footage of Shorinji Kempo from at least 1976, probably earlier (I have a book from this film that was first published in English, it's French, in 1977 so the film is probably a good deal older than that). This is part of a 12 part series and the other 11 are well worth a look as well (They contain Koryu arts, Aikido, Karate, Okinawan Kobudo etc.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDdVk...eature=related

A thank you is owed to Jack Chen on the sword arts forumfor drawing attention to these clips.

Regards
    Paul
    kesshu

Oh and my French is pretty ropey but I think the commentator doesn't differentiate between Shornji Kempo and Karate. He seems to be commenting on Karate history over the SK clip.
    Last edited by paul browne; 13th April 2009 at 20:50. Reason: additional comment and edit

Likes (received)

That is Nakano sensei leading the kihon too isn't it Paul?
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    That is Nakano sensei leading the kihon too isn't it Paul?
    According to my book it is, and he looks like the same person acting as kogeki to Kaiso in the big black photographic book (that title will narrow it down ).
    Paul

Likes (received)

That video can be bought here but let me assure you that it's not worth the money.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

Nice video clip of SK. Good to contrast with the karate clips that follow.

Noticed any differences from modern SK?
    I note that they do not retract their arm as much as we now do after punching and there seems to be more emphasis on power in the punches and blocks.

Is this a reflection of the particular school, of the era, or is it just me noticing things that aren't there ?
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Smile Wonderful!

Gassho,

Thanks Paul for sharing that beautiful footage from Shorinji Kempo's golden age.

Yes - it definitely is Nakano sensei leading the practice. Yamasaki sensei is in the crowd too.

I am very happy.

John

Likes (received)

Gassho,
    Hi John,
    I hope you and yours are well,
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCulloch View Post

I am very happy.

John

Then i consider my time well spent my original post mentioned that Yamasaki sensei wasin the crowd (with a lot of hair...for him) but then i had a confidence crisis and edited it!!.

Not sure I'd buy the film but if you have any interest in classical Japanese martial arts it is an opportunity to see genuine masters of Koryu perform naginata, jutte, kusarigama, katana, Jo, Bo, sai, tonfa, nunchaku (not Bruce Lee like twirling), Kama etc. and it's all there for free on Youtube.

Regards
    Paul

Likes (received)

I think I shall have to watch all of the clips now. I just watched part 4, which had some very tiny kids doing Kendo on the beach... looked like a bunch of Ewoks!! Interesting that they had a section of oaths, creeds etc. recitation followed by seated meditation - the kids looked around 6-8 years old. So many of the little bits of Shorinji Kempo etiquette that I had assumed were unique to that art, are actually common to other Japanese arts - like the basic taiso exercises that Japanese Sensei use, which are commonly found everywhere from tennis club to bank staff pre-work exercises).

The French translation of the Kendo creed would be interesting, it seems to have a lot in common with what I can remember of Seiku, Seigan, Shinjo.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Hi Dave,

Traditional Karate schools (ie; those that maintain a tie with budo, none are much older than Shorinji Kempo) recite 10 (I think) 'pledges' before or after training. They should be easily found if googled. Interestingly they all begin with the word 'Itotsu' which I think means 'first', I suppose meaning none has precedence. They are quite socially sensible and similar in emphasis to the Dokun. I think the difference is that Shorinji Kempo emphasises (or should) some understanding of what's said. I'm not sure this is the case in Karate dojo.

Regards
    Paul
    kesshu