Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of budo

Likes (received)

Default Meaning of budo

Does the meaning of budo only pertain to the Japanese martial arts or can other martial arts be considered budo, such as Filipino MA, Chinese MA etc.??

Kind regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

I'm not prejudiced, I think you can smack people around in any culture
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jezah81 View Post
    Does the meaning of budo only pertain to the Japanese martial arts or can other martial arts be considered budo, such as Filipino MA, Chinese MA etc.??

Kind regards,
    Um, it is a Japanese word...
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

The 'meaning' of the word/ phrase- I'm sure- could be applied to all the types of things you mention, but I would imagine that the phrase itself, would only properly be applied to those Japanese things that suit it. I would think there would be equally meaningful ways to describe comparable things in the languages of those other countries, wouldn't you?
    -Michael Fitzgerald.

Likes (received)

Don,

I am quite aware that it is a Japanese word, having studied Aikido for 4 years and iaido for another number of years. Maybe I wasn't very clear with my question. If, for example, I was talking to a Japanese person, and wanted to tell them I am studying different martial arts such as kung fu or whatever could I call these martial arts "budo" or do the Japanese only regard the Japanese martial arts as budo? Or is there another word in Japanese which describes other martial arts from other countries?

Kind regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

Don,

I am quite aware that it is a Japanese word, having studied Aikido for 4 years and iaido for another number of years. Maybe I wasn't very clear with my question. If, for example, I was talking to a Japanese person, and wanted to tell them I am studying different martial arts such as kung fu or whatever could I call these martial arts "budo" or do the Japanese only regard the Japanese martial arts as budo? Or is there another word in Japanese which describes other martial arts from other countries?
    It depends greatly on who you are talking to, the context of the discussion, etc (martials art guy? academic? bar tender? etc). Very generally I notice that most Chinese arts are refered to as "Chinese bujutsu" far more than budo, and this may apply elsewhere, but for the average Joe (or Taro) they probably don't really care as much about such hair splitting.

Rennis Buchner
    Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

I would speculate that for the average citizen with little to no curiosity or knowledge of Asian martial arts, the meaning your listener infers from the word you choose to use is reliant on the listener’s preconceived notions they have of the term itself. It would be difficult to calculate a universal understanding of the word “Budo” by those with little experience and or interest in Japanese language and culture. For that matter, look at how many martial artists doing Japanese style martial arts who refer to instructors as “Sensei Smith” (for example) which is linguistically incorrect and would also say, “Hello, I am Sensei Smith” which is linguistically and culturally incorrect. No native Japanese speaker would say it, even if their name was Smith.

The term “Budo” in America at least, is becoming more and more generically applied to all martial arts, be it Japanese, Korean, Chinese, or modern eclectic. I do not think though that Filipino styles are subject to this classification under the term “Budo”.

Likes (received)

Thank you all for responding to my post. It has been most informative.

Kind regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

If, for example, I was talking to a Japanese person, and wanted to tell them I am studying different martial arts such as kung fu or whatever could I call these martial arts "budo" or do the Japanese only regard the Japanese martial arts as budo? Or is there another word in Japanese which describes other martial arts from other countries?
    A much more interesting question. I seem to recall Jpn using it just this way on occasion. I wouldn't argue with Rennis on the point, however.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Default My own two cents' worth:

Don,

Kind regards,
    If it was a Japanese person, I would imagine you would tell them (if you are speaking Japanese) you are studying kung fu, or wushu (Chuugoku bujutsu) wouldn't you? Like, I was talking to a friend once and we were talking about tai chi without calling it a budo, rather taikyokuken (the Japanese reading of the characters for tai chi chuan). He understood perfectly. (I might add, it's the same for the exotic mysterious art of SAKkah, which translated is "soccer." Only pronounce it as such and some Japanese won't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Default Meaning of Budo

Kind regards,

In a very simple light, Bu= war Do = way
    If your art is kung fu (chan fa) and you train in the methods and strategy (hei ho) of strict combat you are pretty much a practisioner/student of budo.

answer- no and yes

Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

Default meaning of budo

also it implies you have done this so long it has became a way of life.
    ( it was late when I posted that lol)
    Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

[QUOTE=Black and Blue;477547]also it implies you have done this so long it has became a way of life.
    ( it was late when I posted that lol)
    Phil Scudieri[/QUOTE

Man, try to answer a simple question with a simple answer and you learn several things, I think there are none and my worst skills are still spelling (heiho) (become) and math. Enough from me in this place LOL Back to the mat..... I'm outta here....

Fill Scudieri

Likes (received)

I dont have a problem with the word Budo or better still Budo Bunka. It's the words 'Martial Arts' that annoys me. It has a bad tag and gives people the wrong impression of what we do and study. For me over the years the word has given me problems. Trying to rent a place to practice, the general public have difficulty in dealing with it as they feel threatened. It puts over an unnecessary display of macho arrogance. Problems with custom's and immigration that immediately consider your training equipment to be 'weapons'!
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

for me, and what i teach sometimes, it's that budo it's just a concept that its a fundamenta part of your entire life, not just kendo or other japanese martial art. you can aplly the budo concepts in work, training, games and sports and everything you feel you can do it. so for me it's possible to accept to be a budoka doing tae kwon do or swimming.

Nicolás Andrés Zamorano Levi
    Kendo - Naginata
    CHILE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast