Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Minamoto genji ryu

Likes (received)

Default Minamoto genji ryu

Greetings from Maine.

Has anyone here heard of a 'style' or 'tradition' called "Minamoto genji ryu"?

And, is anyone familiar with the title "tashi"? I have heard sensei, shihan, renshi, kyoshi, and hanshi, but not "tashi".

Thank you for your time.

Bob
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------
    Disclaimer- any typographical, grammatical or spelling errors are my own responsibility, and may not be blamed on anybody else.

Likes (received)

I have heard of this title before. To my recollection a loose translation would be Trainer. But it is not commonly used as far as I know.

Jose
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Likes (received)

"Minamoto Genji-ryu" makes no sense in Japanese.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

minamoto=genji...
    sooo, minamoto minamoto ryu?
    genji genji ryu is catchier.
    -Michael Fitzgerald.

Likes (received)

Sounds like someone trying to make a name from the history of Daito ryu, without getting caught in the surely resultant controversy. Personally, and speaking only for myself, I'd be a little leary.

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

When doing a search online, I also saw that (at least, based on English rules) Minamoto and genji seemed to be synonymous.

Which is one reason why I decided to post the question here, as I know there are many more years of experience than I have.

I appreciate the responses so far.
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------
    Disclaimer- any typographical, grammatical or spelling errors are my own responsibility, and may not be blamed on anybody else.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by e-budoka View Post
    minamoto=genji...
    sooo, minamoto minamoto ryu?
    genji genji ryu is catchier.
    Pizza! Pizza!

I could go for some Crazy Bread now!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kaitenage View Post
    When doing a search online, I also saw that (at least, based on English rules) Minamoto and genji seemed to be synonymous.

Which is one reason why I decided to post the question here, as I know there are many more years of experience than I have.

I appreciate the responses so far.
    HI,
    Hope my flippant response didn't throw you!
    yes- synonymous- alternate pronunciations on the same characters.
    It's just that there's so much of this type of thing around- I have become a bit synical- sorry about that.
    My opinion (for what it's worth) it's a 'no go' mate- leave it.
    -Michael Fitzgerald.

Likes (received)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    Pizza! Pizza!

I could go for some Crazy Bread now!
    I bet 'ol minamoto genji is making some crazy bread!
    -Michael Fitzgerald.

Likes (received)

As folks have gathered, I am asking because I have come across a person claiming to be teaching said "style." I have additional information regarding what he teaches, which you might find surprising.

Here is his description.

----------------------
    What we study - the arts and cultural preservation skills surrounding our gensei-ryu shrine - including but not limited to

papermaking
    calligraphy ( writing and painting - sometimes indistinguishable from each other )
    ink making
    scroll making
    paper cut art
    paper folded art
    cupola work
    forge work ( blades a particular dedication )
    molten and cold glasswork
    pottery
    cabinetmaking
    martial and combat skills of our shrine defense art
    flower arranging
    poetry
    and a host of other shrine tributary practices

We have secular studies drawn from the religious practice of shrine that we observe -
    we observe gensei ( various types of spellings gensei , genji , etc ) religious practices but have non religious versions that we share with others
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kaitenage View Post
    martial and combat skills of our shrine defense art
    Please let their be videos on youtube of them demo'ing a defense to a shrine-storming !!!
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Bob,

Thank you for the description of what is supposedly being taught in the Minamoto Genji-ryu. Here's the problem with folk like that. It's all fine and dandy to make something crazy up and then do it in the confines of your own living room, basement or padded cell, but as soon as you proselytize fakery, you are trying to dupe people out of their money, confidence, time and/or other important attributes based on your greed, stupidity, insanity and/or delusions.

The name itself is suspect. Minamoto Genji, as others have said, is like repeating yourself. The only reason some texts use the term is to note that there are two ways of pronouncing the character, "Minamoto" as in a proper name (Minamoto Yoritomo, for example) or as a clan name "The Genji" as opposed to "The Heike," which are the Taira clan. So right away, the name seems made up by someone who is unaware of some basic Japanese linguistic terminology.

It gets more troubling when you read down the list of what the system professes to teach. The Genji were a warrior clan. While some arts may have flourished within the Genji, craftwork such as carpentry and papermaking were never a part of their family traditions while they were a cohesive dynasty of warriors. These would be relegated to farmers and craftspeople. And "paper cuts," etc.? Ho boy.

The list is so ridiculous, it begs the question of WHY? Why would someone pretend to be proficient in so many disparate arts that individually require years of apprenticeship and training, it would be near impossible to master more than a few AND keep a day job AND learn the language.

The other question is why should we even bother to vent about such obvious idiocy? Well, for me, it's nearly a personal insult. Say you're Native American Indian and you encountered, on a honeymoon in Europe, a group of French guys right outside of Paris professing to be practicing all the rites, rituals and religion of your own tribe. You go to their compound, find out they are bunch of nutcases, but they charge money to join and attend, and are handing out flyers and info that your tribe used to eat Big Macs in a Booga Booga religious ritual and used special warrior techniques only they can teach, which you know is bogus. (I take this example from a Dave Lowry, column, BTW.) I would be insulted. So I'm insulted at stuff like this, as an ethnic American of Japanese descent, and as a martial artist who put in his time to train in a tradition. (And, also, as a fine art graduate who studied papermaking in Shikoku, Japan, and other traditional Japanese art processes.)

If you want to wear your underwear on your head and run around nekkid and claim you're the cultural descendant of Minamoto Yoshitsune, be my guest, as long as you do it in the confines of your own private sanitorium. When you do it to attract students...Sigh. That's sad, insulting and crazy.

--Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Wait...there are **private** sanitoriums where you get to run around nekkid???

Why didn't anyone **tell** me?!?!?

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

Thanks for the rant Wayne, it was eminently entertaining!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Ron...behave yourself :-), But if you find it let us know :-p

Jose
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast