Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone heard of this guy?

Likes (received)

Default Has anyone heard of this guy?

Just wondering if anyone knows this guy. He has a dojo on 1960 in Houston. Check out the link:

http://www.houstonselfdefenseco.com/ninjutsu.php

It says he is a Ninjutsu instructor but does not claim any rank in Bujinkan, Jinenkan, or Genbukan. It looks like he has created his own version of the art.
    Mark Harper
    Bujinkan Houston Dojo
    http://www.sciangler.com/bujiinkan/houston_dojo.htm

Likes (received)

Hi Mark!
    http://www.houstonselfdefenseco.com/instructors.php

This journey started immediately after high school when he quickly discovered that this was not being taught at any local martial arts schools. So, he started researching. It wasn't long before Instructor Bodungen learned that proper self defense training includes preparing the body and the mind. As a result, he began studying the works, teachings, and philosophies of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, who had the same beliefs surrounding "finding the truth in self defense." Around this time, Bodungen also began studying Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (Ninpo), which is a very old and complete fighting system where many other well known arts actually get their roots from.
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

"ka jumonji do" 火十道 people should learn japanese before they try to use japanese words. looks like a bunch of crap thrown together buj stuff with fake ninjer things(Ninjutsu Shokan Shinobi Han and Mitsu Saku Han Ninpo)
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

I believe he also makes reference to training in Toshindo.

Why is this even important? I think enough has been done to educate those who are wishing to pursue the true art so that thye know the difference.

I believe the Ninpo Police disbanned about 9 years ago.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

No way, who is going to protect the ninjas now

Sorry I just read this under the ninjutsu page.

Our Ka Jumonji Do Tactical Ninjutsu program is based, primarily, on the ancient Ninjutsu ryu traditions and fighting systems such as taught in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (Ninpo) and Genbukan Ninpo Bugei, as well as more modern Ninjutsu systems such as Ninjutsu Shokan Shinobi Han and Mitsu Saku Han Ninpo. Such ryu included, but not limited to, are Togakure ryu, Kumogakure ryu, Kukishin ryu, Gyokko ryu, Koto ryu, Gyokushin ryu, Koga ryu, and many others. However, It also takes influence from the principles, techniques, and tactics from several other Reality Based Martial Arts and Tactical Systems such as German Dominquez' Tactical Shokan Combatives, Criso Lopez' Spirit Tora Combatives, Stephen K. Hayes' To Shin Do, Filipino Kali, Indonesian Pencak Silat, William E. Fairbairn's & Eric Anthony Sykes' Defendu, and Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.

Mark Harper
    Bujinkan Houston Dojo

Likes (received)

You ARE the ninpo police.

*Edit- meaning I thought you might be a policeman........that practices ninpo.
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baio View Post
    "ka jumonji do" 火十道 people should learn japanese before they try to use japanese words.
    Sounds a bit KKK to me............
    John Anderson

Likes (received)

wow i didn't even notice that.
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
    You ARE the ninpo police.

*Edit- meaning I thought you might be a policeman........that practices ninpo.
    Oh yeah...
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Not to be the ninpo police but if he claimes to teach from these schools is that not fraud?

Our Ka Jumonji Do Tactical Ninjutsu program is based, primarily, on the ancient Ninjutsu ryu traditions and fighting systems such as taught in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (Ninpo) and Genbukan Ninpo Bugei, as well as more modern Ninjutsu systems such as Ninjutsu Shokan Shinobi Han and Mitsu Saku Han Ninpo. Such ryu included, but not limited to, are Togakure ryu, Kumogakure ryu, Kukishin ryu, Gyokko ryu, Koto ryu, Gyokushin ryu, Koga ryu, and many others. However, It also takes influence from the principles, techniques, and tactics from several other Reality Based Martial Arts and Tactical Systems such as German Dominquez' Tactical Shokan Combatives, Criso Lopez' Spirit Tora Combatives, Stephen K. Hayes' To Shin Do, Filipino Kali, Indonesian Pencak Silat, William E. Fairbairn's & Eric Anthony Sykes' Defendu, and Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.
    Mark Harper
    Bujinkan Houston Dojo

Likes (received)

apparently you can lie all you want when it comes to martial arts and the least that could be done against you is a student breaking out of a contract. i talked to a lawyer about this regarding chris jacobson of budo ryu, america sucks for these types of things
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo

Likes (received)

All I needed to see was Ka Jumonji Do Ninjutsu and Ghost Dog Apache Knife Fighting, Jeet Kune Do, MMA/BJJ, Boot Camp Training and Yoga, all mixed to "Let the bodies hit the floor". It's just another Houston martial arts grocery store.
    Kevin Geaslin
    Genbukan Ninpo & Kokusai Jujutsu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Geaslin View Post
    All I needed to see was Ka Jumonji Do Ninjutsu and Ghost Dog Apache Knife Fighting, Jeet Kune Do, MMA/BJJ, Boot Camp Training and Yoga, all mixed to "Let the bodies hit the floor". It's just another Houston martial arts grocery store.
    Yes. Anyone who has that many arts on their resume has little chance of being good at any one. Some people train in arts to learn, some to add points to their resume. There are even folks I know who seem to visit Japan NOT to get the best instruction they can, only to merely say they trained in Japan.

Of course, in situations like this I always ask why they bother to call what they do ninjutsu. Not one of the "modern" ninjutsu schools I have seen actually are doing anything close to what I see in the Togakure ryu in terms of core aspects. At best, they try to copy Bujinkan stuff and don't realize that Gyokko ryu and Koto ryu techniques are not considered ninjutsu for a reason.

On on-line sessions I have asked a few folks why they call what they do ninjutsu and the usual answer is that it is done in the spirit of the ninja, they think it would be what the ninja would have done, etc. But their image of the ninja is based more on Hollywood than history.

Still, "fire cross" ninjutsu makes me wonder if he knew the images of KKK cross burnings that come to mind.

Edit- You might note that the left side of his page has taken the name of this dojo to make it look more ninja like.
    Last edited by Prospero; 24th August 2009 at 01:02.

Likes (received)

Default I was wondering...

I was wondering how long it would take before the "Ninpo Police" would begin taking things out of context and start throwing stones. Since it has begun, please allow me to clear a few things up.

Yes, I carry a Shodan rank in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu but I do not claim that what I am teaching is traditional authentic ninjutsu. I list many Ninja Ryu to point out that what I teach comes more from the Ninja Ryu side of things instead of the Budo side like the 6 other Ryu from Bujinkan. A terrible marketing mistake and I will correct it. I also do not claim to teach the "grocery store list" as I am being accused of. I have a large school with plenty of space. Therefore, I have several instructors that specialize in each of these other arts. In my area, there happens to be a market for these arts so I provide them. Accuse me of having a "grocery store" of martial arts and any other traditional taboo you like... but my school is thriving and we are all happy. Yes, I have had a checkered martial arts past (I choose to call it diversified but whatever) with many disciplines but are you really going to sit there and call that a fault or pass judgment on that.

Ninjutsu Shokan Shinobi Han and Mitsu Saku Han Ninpo are derivative branch-offs from Bujinkan created by our brethren in Spain. In fact, the Ninjutsu they practice is much closer to what you learn in Japan than most of what you see in America. The name "Ka Jumonji Do" was not my creation. This was given to me by my brethren in Spain due to my extensive use of the Jumonji no Kamae and the Ka no Kata like influence when fighting in more tactical based applications. I was honored. I wasn't surprised that American short sightedness would link it to something like "KKK." That is simple ignorance. The Kanji on the left side of my page was meant to be a place holder for something else and I simply forgot to change it. Thanks for reminding me.

Now, I do admit that some of the videos are horrible and cheesy and I intend to fix that. Sorry for putting you through that.

There have been many high ranking practitioners from the Bujinkan organization that have been to my dojo to see first hand what I do. So far they have all approved. Some have even joined with me in training.

There are so many people that sit here on forums and throw stones, call people liars, and bash their arts, etc. There is no honor in this. Why don't you make an effort to get out and get to know those people and see what they have to offer before falling into the petty politics. The bottom line is that while I'm not following tradition, my students and I enjoy what we study, my school is successful so far, and we are all enhancing our lives.

If you are going to continue to bash and call names (if that's what makes you feel better), I only request that at some point you actually come visit so you can actually see what it is that you are talking about.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by cbodungen View Post
    If you are going to continue to bash and call names (if that's what makes you feel better), I only request that at some point you actually come visit so you can actually see what it is that you are talking about.
    I also forgot to mention.. for those of you that don't have your own place to teach, or want to get out of the heat if you are training outside... I offer my dojo to you. I don't care about politics. If you need a place to teach, I have space for you, and we can find a time slot just as I have done for other instructors.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast