Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Lost Art of Tang Soo Do - By John Kedrowski

Likes (received)

Default The Lost Art of Tang Soo Do - By John Kedrowski

Aloha

I have just completed by book, "The Lost Art of Tang Soo Do" and would like to announce it on this website for those who are interested.

You can find copies of this book below...

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=4328395

This book culminates nine years of study on the history of Tang Soo Do through its syncretic lineage and suggests a curriculum that draws upon lessons of the past. The goal of this book is to present a self defense based curriculum, based on the kata, that the Tangsoodoin can follow and learn the value of the forms they practice. I am very excited to present this book because I feel that now TSD has the potential to be known for more then just its flashy kicks.

Mahalo Nui Loa

John Kedrowski
    "Anything easy, usually isn't worth doing."

Regards

John M. Kedrowski

Likes (received)

This forward was written by a prominent Korean Martial Artist and I'd like to share it.

Forward

Modern training in the Korean martial arts places great emphasis on the collection of techniques and pre-established sequences according to a belt grading syllabus. While this structure is useful for categorizing and sequencing the material which the art consists of, it is rarely anything more than a list of contents, rather than presenting an actual didactic proposal complete with all its elements.

Students often have difficulty understanding how the arts’ components fit together. Typically, there is a dissociation between basic technique, forms, step sparring, free sparring and self-defense work. This is particularly incomprehensible – even allowing for the inclusion of sport sparring – when one considers that the original purpose of the arts is that of self-defense. Why, for example, is the striking portion of the syllabus apparently approached as a separate entity to the self-defense portion? How are forms and free sparring related? How can the instructor reconcile such apparently disparate methods for the expression of fighting technique?

John Kedrowski is a professional educator, and he brings an educator’s vision to his presentation of Tang Soo Do. In this book – the first of its kind, as far as I am aware – he offers a solid, coherent proposal for effective teaching of the art for self-defense. He identifies needs and establishes clear objectives, contents and methodology – the basic elements of any serious pedagogical model. He informs his knowledge of Tang Soo Do with his experience of other empty-hand and weapons-based arts, and his detailed research into the origins of his primary art. He presents all of this in an accessible, structured package which will transform the way Tang Soo Do and its hyungs are studied.

This is not a hyung analysis manual, although the author bases his approach firmly on the interpretation of the forms for practical self-defense application. He does not limit his modus operandi to analysis of hyung sequences, but presents an innovative methodology for linking the training of basic technique, forms and sparring. This book redefines Tang Soo Do training in a fashion which is both subtle and radical, remaining faithful to its fundamental concepts while presenting a highly functional framework which I believe will become an industry standard in years to come.

Simon John O’Neill
    Author of The Taegeuk Cipher

Regards

John M. Kedrowski

Likes (received)

Thank you for moving this to the proper forum. I apologize for misplacing it in the book store. Anyway, I wanted to list some of the topics covered in my book for everyone.

1. I take a look at the effort to introduce the study of bunkai into TSD.

2. I take a critical look at the Hwang Kee's training at the time of the founding of the Moo Duk Kwan in order to trace back where some of the curricular elements came from.

3. I analyze Shotokan and how the grappling elements were subsequently removed over time.

4. I analyze older styles of karate and talk about how they could influence TSD.

5. I suggest a curriculum that draws on some of the lessons of the past in order to give TSD an upgrade.

Regards

John M. Kedrowski