I've attempted to produce a Karate lineage chart (running from early Karate pioneers such as Takahara Peichin up to the generation occupied by Funakoshi and Miyagi).

It's just for fun really and to try and make some sense of the myriad styles of Chuan Fa that influenced Karate. A lot of it is speculation, hypothesis and guesswork (indicated by the usual dotted lines) and some is more generally accepted lineages.

I think it likely that in addition to the usual suspects (monk fist, white crane etc) there are definite influences from Hsing-I Quan and Bazi Quan (a forerunner of Baji Quan) which I have tried to explore.

I have tried to understand the relationships of well documented Karateka such as Matsumura, Aragaki etc and more enigmatic figures such as Iwah, Ason, Anan, Wansu, Kushanku etc. My biggest clue was by trying to decide who knew which kata[s] and from which source they could have been passed.

If anybody would like to have a copy I've made the chart as an A3 PDF. Send me a PM or email me on kaicho@runbox.com and I'll send you a copy.

It's a fairly humble effort so please take it in the spirit it's intended (and no flaming me for spelling mistakes!)

Best wishes
Simon