Likes Likes:  0

Thread: September Tokyo Sumo Basho is off and running!

Likes (received)

Thumbs up September Tokyo Sumo Basho is off and running!

Greetings All,

Well, after 4 days of Grand Sumo, it is already clear who the likely contenders for the Emperor's cup will be. Both Yokozunas (Asashoryu & Hakuho) are 4-0, as are Ozekis Kotooshu and Kotomitsuki. No real surprises there but even so, the quality of the sumo is excellent, so far. When Yokozuna Asashoryu twice lifted Sekiwake Baruto (from Estonia) off the ground, on Day #1, I knew this was gonna be a thriller of a basho! Any predictions for this September Yusho? I'm still banking on Yokozuna Hakuho, yet one can never say... this early in the tournament. So far, the competition is looking promising, on my TV set, from the distant mountains of Vermont. Bye for now.

See you from across the Dohyo, Jon Palombi

Likes (received)

Exclamation After 9 days, Yokozuna Asashoryu leads the pack!!!

Well, so far, so good...

Yokozuna Asashoryu has assumed the lead in this Aki Basho, at 9-0. Yokozuna Hakuho, Ozeki Kotooshu and Ozeki Kotomitsuki are all following in second place, with 8-1 each, respectively. At this point in the Yusho race, it is too soon to proclaim victory for Asashoryu... but he is looking particularly ferocious this outing, that's for sure!

How will the next six days affect these statistics? Stay tuned for the exciting climax of this September, Tokyo Grand Sumo Basho. I still favor Hakuho but who knows? He will have to keep at one loss and wait for a chance to bump Asa from his lead-dog position. Can Kotooshu or Kotomitsuki rally to steal the thunder from the Mongolian Yokozunas? What do you say, John McCulloch? Who is your pick? Any thoughts or predictions? Anybody have an idea who will stand victorious, after day 15? We shall see in just six more days.

Sayonara, Jon Palombi
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 21st September 2009 at 17:56.

Likes (received)

Question

Kotooshu still have that nagging knee injury? (My TV crashed!)

Likes (received)

Question Probably he does...

Hi Pamela,

Frankly, I don't recall if his knee injury is still a major issue in his game, this Basho? Probably he does continue suffer from it, as sumo rikishi seldom have enough time to fully heal. He just slipped into 3rd place, at 8-2, along with stable-mate and fellow Ozeki, Kotomitsuki. Yokozuna Asashoryu has blown everyone away, with his aggressive 10-0 placing.

Regardless... Kotooshu's sumo is outstanding this time out and I truly do feel he has the potential to be the very first, Caucasian Yokozuna. He relies more on his skill in the ring, than his impressive physical stature. Also, my wife thinks he is handsome and will draw many women's attention to the world of Grand Sumo. What do you think? I do wish him good health and all the luck in the world. He will need both, against the two mighty Mongolian Yokozunas.

Thanks for stopping by, Jon

Likes (received)

I'm looking forward to seeing 'shoryu regain his position as top Yokozuna!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Default Can Asashoryu keep up the pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing 'shoryu regain his position as top Yokozuna!
    Well said Kendoguy

Like you said, the Yokozuna must regain his ground as, "Lord of the Ring", to quote Ross Mihara of NHK. While I personally favor Hakuho's brand of sumo, you have to hand it to Asashoryu for exploding into this competition, both barrels blazing! It's still, far too soon for any foregone conclusions but... it is starting to look like a 24th Emperor's Cup for the Mongolian Grand Champion. Whether Asa can continue his domination or fall into rival Yokozuna Hakuho's game plan, is yet to be seen? Let's face it, this rivalry will likely produce a riveting match and be the highlight of this Tokyo Aki Basho. For now, the Yusho is still up for grabs.

see you from across the Dohyo, Jon

Likes (received)

Default Comely Kotooshu for the Ladies?

Quote Originally Posted by jonpalombi View Post
    Well said Kendoguy

Like you said, the Yokozuna must regain his ground as, "Lord of the Ring", to quote Ross Mihara of NHK. While I personally favor Hakuho's brand of sumo, you have to hand it to Asashoryu for exploding into this competition, both barrels blazing! It's still, far too soon for any foregone conclusions but... it is starting to look like a 24th Emperor's Cup for the Mongolian Grand Champion. Whether Asa can continue his domination or fall into rival Yokozuna Hakuho's game plan, is yet to be seen? Let's face it, this rivalry will likely produce a riveting match and be the highlight of this Tokyo Aki Basho. For now, the Yusho is still up for grabs.

see you from across the Dohyo, Jon
    I'm with Jon's spouse as the "yoghurt-yum" would-be yokozuna can attract the ladies who'll force their husbands to keep the TV (or radio) tuned in.
    While Kotooshu's wrestling background must help loads, wonder if his height will make reaching the top rank too tough....

Likes (received)

24! Oh Yeah!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.