Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sciatica & Bursitis

Likes (received)

Default Sciatica & Bursitis

I developed a bursitis on my left knee and 5 months later developed sciatic pain in my left leg.

I think the bursitis was caused by too much kneeling in iaido. Physiotheropy has reduced the sciatic pain somewhat.

My question is: can the bursitis on my knee be causing sciatic pain in my left leg?
    Liam Cognet

Likes (received)

My non-medical opinion --

Please see your medical care provider. The reason is that sciatic pain is more often associated with lumbar disc issues than knees. Electrical studies are probably required to tell for sure.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Cognet View Post
    ...My question is: can the bursitis on my knee be causing sciatic pain in my left leg?
    Actually, yes, it can. Both true sciatica and psuedosciatica can be caused or worsened by improper gait and poor spinal alignment.

Bursitis (inflammation of the bursa) in a knee could be causing a maladaptive gait in an attempt to reduce pain in the knee, which then could be related to sciatica.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    Actually, yes, it can. Both true sciatica and psuedosciatica can be caused or worsened by improper gait and poor spinal alignment.

Bursitis (inflammation of the bursa) in a knee could be causing a maladaptive gait in an attempt to reduce pain in the knee, which then could be related to sciatica.
    So it's ok to give out medical advice now if you are a moderator but not when I did it. I seem to recall being called a quack at the time. Double standard of course.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...537#post428537

Did you do a physical examination of the patient? Did you take x-rays, or do an MRI?

If not, how can you possibly tell from the short subjective description provided exactly what the nature of the problem is?
    Los Angeles IaidoKai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by wreddock View Post
    So it's ok to give out medical advice now if you are a moderator but not when I did it. I seem to recall being called a quack at the time. Double standard of course.
    What advice did I give?

I said that sciatica could be a related to knee problems; I gave no specific treatment suggestions for this particular case, nor did I even suggest that in this case the sciatica was related to the bursitis. Most importantly, I didn't tell the OP that he had bursitis, he told us; I didn't tell the OP that he had sciatica, he told us. No "remote diagnosis" was attempted.

In the post you are referencing, you didn't say "may be," "could be," or "might be" -- you flat out said "You have a classic rotator cuff injury." Without an examination, how could you know that? You didn't just give advice, like "apirin might help" or "I've used hot packs for that." You made a diagnosis. That's what I warned against.

No double standard at all.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 24th September 2009 at 09:35.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Just an opinion

Although there was some temptation to react (besides the budo that I do out of passion, I am a licensed MD in Sports Medicine), I am a strong advocate to avoid these kinds of discussions on forums like this.

My advice (for what it’s worth): If you have a problem go and see your doctor. If you want to discuss budo than do it on this forum.

Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu
    http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be

Likes (received)

Is this view based on science or anecdote. If on science, please provide references.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

No double standard at all.
    Of course not - but then again you are the referee aren't you so I guess you get to call people a quack and it's perfectly ok. Bet if I called you a quack I get booted double quick for making an ad honomin.

As they say 'it's nice to be king and in your case it's nice to be king and always right'
    Bill Reddock
    Los Angeles IaidoKai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by wreddock View Post
    Of course not - but then again you are the referee aren't you so I guess you get to call people a quack and it's perfectly ok. Bet if I called you a quack I get booted double quick for making an ad honomin.
    To be accurate, I never called you a quack; I said making a diagnosis without doing an exam or having other supportive information beyond "hey guys, my shoulder hurts" could be considered quakery.

I'm sorry if you can't see the difference between making a diagnosis without doing an examination, and answering a question about an already confirmed diagnosis. I don't think the majority of readers would have trouble doing so.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    Is this view based on science or anecdote. If on science, please provide references.
    My notes, handouts, and text books from my kinestheology and pathology courses have long since been packed away, since I'm not currently practicing massage therapy, but this is what I was taught and it is based on more than a few anecdotal reports to the best of my knowledge.

I'll see what I can find over the next few days, and will post references if I can find them.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I'll see what I can find over the next few days, and will post references if I can find them.
    You won't find much quality evidence.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"