Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuden-ryu / Takeuchi-ryu Sojutsu

Likes (received)

Default Fuden-ryu / Takeuchi-ryu Sojutsu

Hi All!
    A friend of mine has taken a lot of pictures at this years Meiji Enbu. He also takes notes to identify the diffrent ryuha. I am puzzled about this one. His notes say Iden Ryu sojutsu! I never heard about this ryuha and was unable to find anything, not even the name mentioned in the net. Its possible that his note is not correct. Who could tell more!
    Best!
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

I would hazard the guess that it's the "Fuden Ryu" ( 風伝流 ) and that he just misheard it.. Used to be known as the "Takeuchi Ryu Sojutsu"....But changed the name later on..Does he not have the guide book that was being sold?I missed this years Meiji demo because I was in Okayama demoing myself..
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Yes, that's Fuden-ryu (風伝流鎗術 ). These are a bunch of really nice guys. I helped them find their bags in Meiji jingu a few years back when I was on the reception desk for the shinkokai. They poured me a large glass of sake as a "thank you!" upstairs at the after-party.

Their dojo also train in Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu related to Yonehara Kameo, one of Aoki Tesshin's students and current soke of Sekiguchi-ryu iai.

Likes (received)

Hi Ben,
    I think I saw you at the Okayama Kobudosai last month.
    You mentioned that the Fuden Ryu used to be known as Takeuchi Ryu Soujutsu. Is there any connection to Takeuchi Ryu Jujutsu??
    Thanks,
    Alon Adika

Likes (received)

Yes..There is a good connection, although over time it has become a bigger one....And you weren't in the front row to the left were you?Maybe I saw you there..
    Regards
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Default thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I sent you a PM.
    Could you tell us more about the connection between the two ryuha?
    Thank you very much!!
    Alon Adika

Likes (received)

Not much to add really..
    The founder Nakayama Genbei Yoshinari studied Takenouchi-ryu and received Kaiden in Soujutsu. Using the ideas and kata base he had in Takeuchi-ryu he founded the Fuden-ryu and the school was taught in many provinces, including Shibata han, Furukawa han, Nakatsu han, Owari han, Hirone han, and the Shinshu Matsumoto han...The school is also known as Takeuchi-ryu Sojutsu.
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Hi All!
    Thanks a lot! Could anyone tell me about the history of this ryu(dates)? They wear protectors! Do they make slashing movements with they yari or are they are stabbing at the protecteted areas? Who on this picture is uke? I would guess the right one!?
    Regards
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sven beulke
    Hi All!
    Thanks a lot! Could anyone tell me about the history of this ryu(dates)? They wear protectors! Do they make slashing movements with they yari or are they are stabbing at the protecteted areas? Who on this picture is uke? I would guess the right one!?
    Regards
    I used to have some VHS footage of these guys, but haven't been able to find the tape since my move to the UK from Japan.

Lots of angular control of the enemy's polearm, some strikes to the aites arteries and unprotected areas - kata guchi, ura gote, uchi mata etc.

Likes (received)

Hi all!

I´m the one who took the photos. Here are they: Meiji Jingu 2006

Enjoy!

And thank you all for the information about Fuden ryu. Realy interesting!

Regards,

Michael Reinhardt
    Michael Reinhardt

Likes (received)

Hi Micha!
    Great! You posted the link.
    A tip for all those who dont understand german. Go to the last line on the page and click "free". It will lead you to another page. There will be some delay before the download starts. What you get ist a zipped file with tons of nice pics!
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber
    Not much to add really..
    The founder Nakayama Genbei Yoshinari studied Takenouchi-ryu and received Kaiden in Soujutsu. Using the ideas and kata base he had in Takeuchi-ryu he founded the Fuden-ryu and the school was taught in many provinces, including Shibata han, Furukawa han, Nakatsu han, Owari han, Hirone han, and the Shinshu Matsumoto han...The school is also known as Takeuchi-ryu Sojutsu.
    Regards.
    This is rather interesting....do you have any idea on when that was? I am going to do some mind-digging.....

Likes (received)

I don't I'm afraid Russ..
    Not much information on the school outside of those who practise it unfortunately.. But that's maybe a good thing for them..
    I'll look at what I have but since you have the same resources as me I won't dig up anything you haven't already seen..
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber
    I don't I'm afraid Russ..
    Not much information on the school outside of those who practise it unfortunately.. But that's maybe a good thing for them..
    I'll look at what I have but since you have the same resources as me I won't dig up anything you haven't already seen..
    Regards.
    Indeed. I talked to a member of the Shimpukan and he doesn't know anything about them when they were down here- but he is going to double check some stuff he has.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mekugi
    Indeed. I talked to a member of the Shimpukan and he doesn't know anything about them when they were down here- but he is going to double check some stuff he has.
    I have some very good articles on Fuden-ryu from the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai and Nihon Kobudo Kyokai. At the moment, they're packed up in boxes. I'll get back to this thread when they're unpacked.

I remember reading about how some of the various sojutsu ryuha still meet up every now and then to train together, using jukendo armour. The soke of Fuden-ryu is pictured in one of the articles, wearing jukendo armour, yet holding a tampo yari.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast