Complacency

Defined as:

1.) A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an
unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.

2.) An instance of contented self-satisfaction.

Synonyms:

contentment, satisfaction, sense of security, smugness, good feeling; ease, abundance, alleviation, amenity, assuagement, bed of roses, cheer, cheerfulness, complacency, contentment, convenience, coziness, creature comforts, enjoyment, exhilaration, facility, gratification, happiness, luxury, opulence, peacefulness, pleasure, plenty, poise, quiet, relaxation, relief, repose, rest, restfulness, satisfaction, snugness, succor, sufficiency, warmth, well-being

Complacency has a fine line or gray area if it is in too much abundance, thus it could be synonymous with:

conceit, egotism amour-propre, arrogance, complacence, consequence, immodesty, narcissism, outrecuidance, pomposity, pride, self-admiration, self-conceit, self-exaltation, self-importance, self-love, self-regard, smugness, snootiness, stuffiness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vainness, vanity

“Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: It has to be shattered before being ascertained.” Vladimir Nabokov

Complacency has to be understood within human parameters. Using human experiences to form our aptitude, complacency is rooted within a psychological prejudice. The intellectual study to obtain and process information is decreased by a sense of ardent exposure and dedication beyond acceptance. Almost, to a point of denial. As suggested within the theory of Ying-Yang, complacency has to be balanced and implicit, in order to not favor in one direction or the other. Per its first definition; A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy. Complacency becomes a problem when one categorically dismisses any notion from a subconscious verse; “It won’t happen to me” or “I am ready for anything.”

A good example is from a scene in the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon;

Han: “We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for.”

Williams: "Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice."

Han: "Oh? How so?"

Williams: "I'll be too busy looking gooood."

And, most of us know what happens to Mr Williams.

Could it be that training in a martial art be also considered as a type of insurance, something we may have to use, and not for a if something should happen”, but “when something could happen”.

And like insurance, there is no guarantee that we are fully protected in the sense of self-preservation.

As a martial artist, we train and prepare, at least most do, for the actual “moment of truth”. In some real situations, some martial artists fair or do well. (I read and hear from many martial artists on how well they have done in a real situation, and rarely do I hear someone stating that they did poorly, or lower than expected.)

But, does this give us total assurance that upon each situation, we can rely on our skill sets, each, and every time?

What is your response or thought upon this thread?