Good morning,

I'm hoping that some of the more experienced teachers here will be able to offer some advice regarding hosting a small tournament - our first.

I teach a small Shotokan class for adults. We've been operating for about a year now and I thought hosting a small tournament might be a way to bring some local MA teachers together and give my students a taste of competition.

The plan is this: host a small invitational tournament for three or four other schools whose instructors I know. We will use the same rec. facility I currently teach at and run only one or two rings. Competition will include kata and kumite - no weapons, team kata, etc.

I've covered the following issues: space and time confirmed with the rec. dept., advertising/info to other schools is ready to be sent out, First Aid covered by a volunteer RN (my lovely wife), liability insurance covered by the rec. dept. and a waiver (do I need personal liability insurance?).

I still need: awards, concessions (I thought I'd sell water, sports drinks and a few snacks).

What have I forgotten? What problems should I expect? Who should I bring on board to make sure the day runs smoothly?

If anyone is interested I can send out a copy of our invitation/registration package for your critique.

Thanks for your feedback,