Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Active Shooter and You

Likes (received)

Yep. I regularly teach active threat response for schools and different groups based on the Run Hide Fight model and there is often more concern for liability than lethality.

It's mostly a matter of it being a subject people are not familiar with and not comfortable confronting.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post

It's mostly a matter of it being a subject people are not familiar with and not comfortable confronting.
    Yeah, I don't think many people are comfortable confronting the realities of violence. How do we break down that barrier?
    That alone can be a long discussion.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    ...I don't think many people are comfortable confronting the realities of violence. How do we break down that barrier?
    I've often felt that the difference between heroes and sheeple isn't one of courage per se, but that something in the hero's brain wiring makes him or her act where others freeze; that he or she automatically starts to run toward trouble while others automatically start to run away...or freezein indecision.

Those who aren't "wired" to act can be taught to act by repetitive training, but it can take a LOT of repetitive training before they're able to act out of habit rather than freezing or going with denial.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Brian

Some research suggests that is actually the case - a genetic component that differs in people who do well under those circumstances.

Likes (received)

Part of the reason I switched careers from an office desk job to LE is because I realized when things happen most people look the other way and I run to the problem to solve it. We need more people who are willing to be part of the solution. I'm not sure if it is genetic or just how I was raised.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

To Kit and Chris. Great stuff.
    And..
    As I told two LEO at the airport yesterday and every chance I get. " Thank you! And remember there are millions of us who DO GET IT and we are behind you and appreciate all the effort and even try to understand the mistakes and the occasional bad judgement.
    1. Don't get discouraged. You have Millions of good arrests, saved lives, births, friendly help and advice all behind and around and ahead of you. Don't let it... turn you off.
    2. Remember it is only a percentage complaining.
    3. Stay proud, stay hopeful, and stay safe."
    Dan
    [url=www.bodyworkseminars.org][COLOR=#B22222][B]Ancient traditions * Modern Combatives[/B][/COLOR][B][/url] [/B][COLOR=#B22222][/COLOR]

Likes (received)

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150127...535/10272/NEWS

This happened last night. Louie was a linebacker and co-captain and played with my son. Like my son he was a good student. Also like my son he wrestled. These boys were good boys when I last knew him. He like my son had the propensity to flip the switch and react with controlled violence in sport situation. But it didn't help Louie one damn bit ashe was shot multiple times in the chest.

The paper made the point of stating this, I am not sure of what point they are trying to make:
    "The person said the victim’s shirt was pulled up and he had blood on his fingers. He added that there was some money in the roadway near the victim."

21 years old. It is damn ******* shame.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Dan

Thank you - we can tend to forget the vast majority of people that are supportive and appreciative and get that things can get pretty crazy. It is still nice to hear, and after 18 years on the job I can absolutely say it helps keep us grounded.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150127...535/10272/NEWS

This happened last night. Louie was a linebacker and co-captain and played with my son. Like my son he was a good student. Also like my son he wrestled. These boys were good boys when I last knew him. He like my son had the propensity to flip the switch and react with controlled violence in sport situation. But it didn't help Louie one damn bit ashe was shot multiple times in the chest.

The paper made the point of stating this, I am not sure of what point they are trying to make:
    "The person said the victim’s shirt was pulled up and he had blood on his fingers. He added that there was some money in the roadway near the victim."

21 years old. It is damn ******* shame.
    He joined the Army after graduation. He was infantryman who did MMA for fun.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Ed

Sorry for your loss. We just can't know whether it could have helped or not in that particular situation. And, even if it could, no training makes any one of invincible. I think that is really the fundamental underpinning of mindset, warrior mindset if you will - we act, or we do these things, or this thing here and now, knowing that our own life or the lives of others hang in the balance. It is far, far, beyond and of a different order entirely than a sport mindset.

Likes (received)

He joined the Army after graduation. He was infantryman who did MMA for fun.
    I'm very sorry Ed.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    Dan

Thank you - we can tend to forget the vast majority of people that are supportive and appreciative and get that things can get pretty crazy. It is still nice to hear, and after 18 years on the job I can absolutely say it helps keep us grounded.
    The information being offered here, may be a harbinger of what is to come for all of us. Since we are unwilling to do what is needed to stem the tide of terrorism. Good information is power, perhaps to make better, more informed decisions to do "the right thing."

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."...Teddy Roosevelt

Sadly, I think it is going to take thousands of more deaths, an unrelenting enemy, and 100% failure rate to deal with them, before America regains the will to make a plan involving some difficult actions and follow through on them. Several countries in Europe have recently elected officials who are severely restricting immigration from certain countries and groups.
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 28th January 2015 at 16:00.
    Dan
    [url=www.bodyworkseminars.org][COLOR=#B22222][B]Ancient traditions * Modern Combatives[/B][/COLOR][B][/url] [/B][COLOR=#B22222][/COLOR]

Likes (received)

Louie was a linebacker and co-captain and played with my son. Like my son he was a good student. Also like my son he wrestled. These boys were good boys when I last knew him.
    Sorry Ed. Take Care.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Good video from LASO on citizen response to active shooter:

http://www.governmentvideo.com/artic...g-video/115412

Likes (received)

Bumping this.

It unfortunately remains topical with multiple examples both in the streets and past incidents in the courts. Major, planned attacks such as 9.11 are harder to carry off these days, but "lone wolf" or very small cell, independent terrorist bomber/shooters (Boston, Charlie Hebdo) inspired by on-line radicalizing, and the unbalanced individuals responsible for things like Sandy Hook and Aurora, are very, very hard to stop before the approach and implementation phases.

Stopping them in the latter requires a willingness to close, abilities in close quarters and personal combat, and a mindset capable of functioning under the threat of death. In other words, and in my opinion and practice, the things that we should be thinking about and training in our budo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2