Likes Likes:  0

Thread: H1N1 in the dojo?

Likes (received)

Default H1N1 in the dojo?

I am interested in how martial arts schools are handling the possible spread of H1N1. Any new policies in place? Any changes in how classes are handled?
    Rick Sbuscio

Likes (received)

I encourage all the standard protocols such as handwashing,covering coughs, etc. Since I don't have a kid's class we're probably a little less susceptible than some dojo. That said, I canceled one class last week because my kids were home sick and I didn't want to bring the dreaded HINI to class. I think common sense precautions make sense, however there are too many people over-reacting, IMO. Even my three little germ carriers who actually had swine flu last week weren't all that sick and recovered just as quickly as I would expect from the seasonal influenza.

Likes (received)

Default much ado about nothing

Regardless of whether its H1N1, Avian Flu, SARS or regular influenze or a common cold - everyone should practice common sense with hand washing, coughing in to their elbow instead of their hands etc etc - if you feel a cold / flu coming on or are just getting over it - take 24-48hrs off of being in the dojo or heavy human contact.
    Jason G. Bilodeau

Likes (received)

Default H1N1 in the dojo

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    I am interested in how martial arts schools are handling the possible spread of H1N1. Any new policies in place? Any changes in how classes are handled?

We wipe the door knobs and handles more often. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk and use it often. I tell others to use it also.We tell the kids to wash their hands often, keep their hands away from their face and cough or sneeze into their sleeve. If they dont, they wash their hands at once. if an adult or child are not feeling well they are told to stay home.
    I also got a regular flu shot and a H1N1 shot to cover me.
    Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

Default H1N1 in the dojo

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post

We wipe the door knobs and handles more often. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk and use it often. I use only my own weapons and not those off the wall kake. We tell the kids to wash their hands often, keep their hands away from their face. if an adult or child are not feeling well they are told to stay home.
    I also got a regular flu shot and a H1N1 shot to cover me.
    Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
    WI keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk and use it often.
    Hopefully you are also aware that hand sanitizers do not kill viruses, so the old soap & water solution is still best against those.
    Mika Rantanen

Likes (received)

Our school uses the basic sanitation rules described above. It also doesn't allow members with flu-like symptoms to train until they've recovered.
    Hieroteo Villarosa V

Likes (received)

Default h1n1 in the dojo

Quote Originally Posted by Mika Rantanen View Post
    Hopefully you are also aware that hand sanitizers do not kill viruses, so the old soap & water solution is still best against those.
    Yes I am aware. If you recheck my post I stated we tell everyone to wash their hands often and keep them away from their face, eyes etc.
    Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

Default New Article

I combined a number of good comments to come up with the following column.

http://www.examiner.com/x-24575-Pitt...al-Arts-School
    Rick Sbuscio