Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to Kick

Likes (received)

Default How to Kick

I practice barefoot. I can't use sneakers/boots to kick because my punching bag will tear up and its expansive and I can't buy a new one. I do want to practice using shoes but can't. May be later in my life when I will enough money I will put an extra heavy-duty bag for kicking while wearing shoes. So here is the way I practice kicks using bare foot, please advise:

Side-Kick: When I side-kick, I don't use the ball of the foot but either the side of the foot or the heel. Look at the images below (the circled parts) to know what I meant by side of the foot and other for which part of the heel I use. I don't know what you call it in English. are they okay to use to hit ?

Front-Kick: I hit using heel of my foot.

Round-House kick: Practice to hit at thigh level using some part of my leg and some upper part of my foot. See image below (circled part) to know what part I am talking about.

Knee-attack: I am unable to kick someone exactly in front of me (facing me). Instead I practice that opponent is standing either on left or right side of mine and I hit him using knee-attack using a part of the knee little above the joint. see the pic:

Tell me if any of them is wrong and also tell me the correct positions and I will change the way I practice.

Likes (received)

Default nice

This is exceptionally decent post thanks..!!
    Nawaz

Likes (received)

This is exceptionally bad SPAM.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

And the spammer has been banned.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

And that's how to smack down!

Any thoughts on/about kicking in shoes, street clothes, etc? We could turn this into an interesting discussion...

Likes (received)

These may sound facetious, but they aren't.

* Kicking in high heels can be done, but takes talent. (See the Rockettes.)

* Kicking in work boots can be a problem, too. As can be kicking in shoes that aren't laced up correctly.

* Tight pants are a problem. So are phones, knives, and whatnot in one's pockets.

* Slips and falls while kicking are a definite concern. That pavement is hard.

* Most fights I've seen that had kicks were being done by folks that were several feet out of range. My theory? If you think you are close enough to kick, then use a stick. If you think you are close enough to punch, then kick. If you think you're close enough to wrestle, then punch and elbow. And, if you're close enough to kiss, then you're probably getting into grappling range. I say "probably" because a lot of people wrestle like they're dancing with their sisters, you know?

Likes (received)

IMHO The ways described in the original post were mostly on the money,

Yoko Geri (side kick) should be done as mentioned using sokuto (outside edge of the foot, near the heel) whether barefoot or wearing shoes.

Mae Geri (front kick) barefoot should be chusoku (ball of foot) but wearing shoes you have to adapt to mae kakato geri (front heel kick) or the flat of the bottom of your foot, but then it is more of a push.

Mawashi Geri (round house kick), unless you are simply scoring points, should be done with the shin anyway so adapting to wearing shoes is already done.

Hiza Geri (knee kick) can be done as described (mawashi style) or indeed straight in front using the hips to push it through.

I should add, that probably the only kick I would use in the street would be the gedan mawashi geri (low roundhouse kick)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Senshido View Post
    Mae Geri (front kick) barefoot should be chusoku (ball of foot) but wearing shoes you have to adapt to mae kakato geri (front heel kick) or the flat of the bottom of your foot, but then it is more of a push.
    In Okinawan karate this description is felt that it was born of sport karate. They dislike it and have talked about it at length. They prefer tsumasaki-geri or toe kicks. Which is easily adaptable with shoes and you don't have to change the position of your foot. It's the way I was taught and the only way I've seen done by the older Okinawan karateka.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

How 'bout:

Not necessarily the kicking foot in shoes, but the planted foot.

How 'bout your dress shoes in a suit versus your running shoes or hikers...

Uneven, slippery, hard, and cluttered terrain...both indoor and outdoors...

Tight jeans?

etc. Joe has the gist...

10. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Kicks that aren't kicks, but that instead lead to osotogari are nice, too, especially if done as the other fellow is kicking.

Works in tournaments, too. (Damn, missed again. Sure sorry about that. Hope you didn't fall too hard.)

12. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    In Okinawan karate this description is felt that it was born of sport karate. They dislike it and have talked about it at length. They prefer tsumasaki-geri or toe kicks. Which is easily adaptable with shoes and you don't have to change the position of your foot. It's the way I was taught and the only way I've seen done by the older Okinawan karateka.
    That (toe kick) in fact would be my preferred way of kicking, but have you ever toe-kicked a heavy bag with trainers (sneakers) on? It can still hurt quite badly, although having said that. a heavy bag is harder than most bodies.

Again though, adapting to the street, and taking terrain, clothing etc. into account I would not be kicking above the waist, so I would either be using my shin to the side of a leg (preferably their knee) or tsumasaki-geri or haisoku (top of foot) to the nuts.

P.S. as a 50 something year old, I wouldn't be wearing tight jeans or untied boots so no issue there for me

Likes (received)

P.S. as a 50 something year old, I wouldn't be wearing tight jeans or untied boots so no issue there for me
    This is an important point with respect to personal protection skills: since we cannot predict with certainty when we may or may not need to defend ourselves, being always prepared means making certain choices in advance. Some of those choices involve our fashion choices: no tight jeans, no high heels, etc. In my case, it also means choosing shirts or jackets that will cover my pistol when I'm out in public so as not to unduly alarm the squeamish, yet still allow rapid access if needed.

It's all about compromises.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

15. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

I am one year away from fifty and yes, I've kicked a heavy bag barefoot and with trainers on and I still prefer toe kick. Can be done with conditioning. Of course I have a sandbag next to my night stand I toe kick on a regular basis.
    Now here's the kicker (pun intended) in 20 years of law enforcement and in many a scuffles I've yet to kick someone.

Anyway, I was just relating what I've learned from the Okinawans.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    I am one year away from fifty and yes, I've kicked a heavy bag barefoot and with trainers on and I still prefer toe kick. Can be done with conditioning. Of course I have a sandbag next to my night stand I toe kick on a regular basis.
    Now here's the kicker (pun intended) in 20 years of law enforcement and in many a scuffles I've yet to kick someone.

Anyway, I was just relating what I've learned from the Okinawans.
    Hi Tony,
    I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and I wasn't knocking it in any way.
    I have had to kick outside of the dojo or tournament and I just used my "bread & butter" kick which is gedan mawashi geri, so it was shin anyway.
    My other ramblings in my original post about parts of the foot to use were hypothetical and my opinion.

18. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hi Tony,
    I have had to kick outside of the dojo or tournament and I just used my "bread & butter" kick which is gedan mawashi geri, so it was shin anyway.
    Good devastating kick. Many can't take the kick. Another one that if the opportunity arose could be a game changer in a self defense scenario.
    My other ramblings in my original post about parts of the foot to use were hypothetical and my opinion.
    Which were valid, imo. That's what these forums are for, correct? The sharing of not only knowledge and facts, but hypotheticals and opinions.
    Tony Urena

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast