Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to Kick

Likes (received)

I think the low shin kick to the legs, along with foot sweeps, are among the things most people simply do not know how to deal with, or process when it happens to them in a self defense environment. They are also high percentage techniques, with low risk to the kicker/sweeper.

Though I generally do not teach these specific techniques in personal protection, as in my experience they take some timing and skill, with that skill (readily developed arts that train them under true dynamics such as Kyokushin and judo) these are among the best self defensive options out there.

2. Likes TonyU, Senshido liked this post
    Likes (received)

Blocking with the knee and elbow is also (IMO) a useful skill to develop. Takes time, of course, but in relative terms, you have lots of time to develop that if you're in a judo or karate class, and the movement is essentially preparation for a kick.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    That's what these forums are for, correct? The sharing of not only knowledge and facts, but hypotheticals and opinions.
    very true!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    I think the low shin kick to the legs, along with foot sweeps, are among the things most people simply do not know how to deal with, or process when it happens to them in a self defense environment. They are also high percentage techniques, with low risk to the kicker/sweeper.

Though I generally do not teach these specific techniques in personal protection, as in my experience they take some timing and skill, with that skill (readily developed arts that train them under true dynamics such as Kyokushin and judo) these are among the best self defensive options out there.
    I agree. Sweeps I've done with great success.
    Btw, I lied. As I was on my way to my in-laws last night we passed an old project neighborhood that has since been torn down and new duplexes were built. I was discussing with my wife about times I've worked the neighborhood in my narco days and how I once kicked someone the course of attempting to arrest and was resisting.
    I didn't mean to kick him. I wan attempting something else. It worked, but it was an accident.
    Last edited by TonyU; 1st January 2015 at 16:31.
    Tony Urena

6. Likes Senshido, CEB liked this post
    Likes (received)

I don't know what my favorite SD kick is called. We called it the Kuda kick because Mr. Kuda taught us the kick. I momentarily gives up the inside of the kicking leg but holy moly! It is like a horizontal fumikomi. Other than that it is very in close mawashi geri with the shins. In close you real can't avoid it. Then being a Goju guy a kick we call kensetsu geri is near and dear to my heart.
    Ed Boyd

8. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Since this is self defense, this presumably ends up in court (and/or internal affairs). In that case, I'm guessing that "I slapped him in the face, then kneed him in the nuts" sounds much better than "I punched and kicked him in the head until he fell down."

Likes (received)

My favorite head shot is a "slap".
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    I don't know what my favorite SD kick is called. We called it the Kuda kick because Mr. Kuda taught us the kick. I momentarily gives up the inside of the kicking leg but holy moly! It is like a horizontal fumikomi. Other than that it is very in close mawashi geri with the shins. In close you real can't avoid it. Then being a Goju guy a kick we call kensetsu geri is near and dear to my heart.
    and being a Kyokushin guy... Kansetsu geri is one of my favourites too!

My favorite head shot is a "slap".
    I love this.... I use what I call throwing the tennis ball, a closed fist (holding the imaginary ball) and throw it, keeping the hand closed until almost the point of impact, then open the hand and "slap" !

Likes (received)

I don't know what my favorite SD kick is called. We called it the Kuda kick because Mr. Kuda taught us the kick. I momentarily gives up the inside of the kicking leg but holy moly! It is like a horizontal fumikomi.
    Is that what we call uchi momo geri? inside low kick to the thigh?

Likes (received)

I don't know. You bring your knee up high like yu are going to stomp. Then drive the bottom of your foot into your opponent's thigh or hip. The angle of your foot is with the toes angling out like in masubi dachi. You could target the front of the knee also or above the front of the knee and ride him down to the instep.

If you catch a guy coming in and nail that kick in his upper thigh or hip you can send him airborne face down if you drive his lower body out from under him. I don't have a name for this kick. We used to have some Matsumura Kempo people on e-Budo who might know. The late founder of Matsumura Kempo, Yuichi Kuda taught that kick.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Ah no, that sounds different, it sounds a bit more like a version of gedan mae kakato geri

Likes (received)

If what you're describing is what I think it is (see attached photo), in the Shito Ryu dojo I belonged to we called that Fumikomi Geri, but I don't recall a specific name for the version with the striking foot rotated out like that. It differed from Kakato Geri Fumikomi in that the heel wasn't the weapon.

Name:  fumikomi geri.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  29.4 KB
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

16. Likes Senshido liked this post
    Likes (received)

That is it except he would throw it to the thigh or hip like a horizontal fumikomi.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Kansetsugeri, perhaps? See images D3 and D4 on page 33. https://books.google.com/books?id=EM...karate&f=false

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    Kansetsugeri, perhaps? See images D3 and D4 on page 33. https://books.google.com/books?id=EM...karate&f=false
    Kansetsugeri has the foot turned in (rather than out like in the picture above). kansetsugeri is essentially a low yoko geri which I would aim at the knee joint

20. Likes Brian Owens liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast