Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do we deal with the threat of BJJ?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
    Thats even more fun - ask him how he'd deal with a kickin', punchin', grapplin' kenshi
    I could answer that... but you had to be in my part of the world.
    Alejandro Villanueva.

Likes (received)

dos cervezas por favor?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    dos cervezas por favor?
    Two more for me, please .
    Alejandro Villanueva.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indar View Post
    I think that the issue is that in SK we don't (officially) train in ground fighting.
    I've always been curious as to why this is.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Omicron View Post
    I've always been curious as to why this is.
    White dogi get dirty so very quickly
    Last edited by Ewok; 26th January 2010 at 11:11. Reason: brainfart :(
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Smile Bjj And Sk

Here in Brazil we have our Dojo together with the people of BJJ and they are very curious about our style. They are very opened and have no problem to teach us some techniques of Jiu Jitsu.

I think that is interesting for us to learn a little about BJJ to understand better how defend ourselves against BJJ.

Actually, I think that SK have some tecniques that could be used to defend against the grappling, but have no choice when on the ground. Then, we need study some grounding techniques.

Guilherme Fauque

Likes (received)

Default Cooperation

Gassho!

Wow, that's a great example of how MA styles should work together! This can only be beneficial to both sides, I believe.
    Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome to eBudo.

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
    White dogi get dirty so very quickly
    Sounds like you might need to keep your floors a bit cleaner.
    BJJers wear white dogi too.

Likes (received)

I would like to chime in and say to be a good martial artist is to be well-rounded or versitile. I tend to think martial arts, and teachers thereof, tried to evolve since the dawn of man creating systemized fighting methods. Thus, no art is acccurately original, but a melting pot. Over time, over forty years, I have seen a martial art get into "the limelight", and others who do not practice in such, degrade, challenge in some way, or give implications. Then again, such who do practice, return the "favor".

Per self defense, no one will truly know what kind of opponent they would be up against and the fact that defense also hinges upon the situation and environment. Simply if one is opt to visit a pub more often, then they are opt to get into an affray, and most likely with someone intoxicated.

One should examine their environment per its course of situation, which may unfold (per the example of a pub and intoxicated people), and adjust their training accordingly.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Scardina View Post
    Per self defense, no one will truly know what kind of opponent they would be up against and the fact that defense also hinges upon the situation and environment.
    Which is why many of us feel it's important to train for as many different self defense scenarios possible, including fighting on the ground. That SK lacks any ground work (at least as it's usually taught) is a detriment to the effectiveness of the art as a complete self defense system.

Likes (received)

Smile

You won't find many BJJ people today that don't train in lots of standup as well. In the old UFC, BJJ took everyone down and submitted them. So all the boxers and kickboxers and karateka started learning BJJ and Judo and wrestling, then people started getting KO'd with right crosses and roundhouses. So then everyone started training with everything.

I guess my point is that a BJJ fighter that doesn't know striking has as much to fear from a Shorinji Kempo expert as a striker has to fear from them. But since they're probably cross-training in Muay Thai, boxing or karate, you should look into doing some of what they're doing. Be complete, and all that. If Shorinji Kempo lacks newaza, train some Judo, which is "street smart" BJJ.
    Kevin Geaslin
    Genbukan Ninpo & Kokusai Jujutsu

Likes (received)

Which is why many of us feel it's important to train for as many different self defense scenarios possible, including fighting on the ground. That SK lacks any ground work (at least as it's usually taught) is a detriment to the effectiveness of the art as a complete self defense system.
    Hence my beginning statement to the particular post you had referenced;

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Scardina View Post
    I would like to chime in and say to be a good martial artist is to be well-rounded or versitile.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Geaslin View Post
    You won't find many BJJ people today that don't train in lots of standup as well. In the old UFC, BJJ took everyone down and submitted them. So all the boxers and kickboxers and karateka started learning BJJ and Judo and wrestling, then people started getting KO'd with right crosses and roundhouses. So then everyone started training with everything.

I guess my point is that a BJJ fighter that doesn't know striking has as much to fear from a Shorinji Kempo expert as a striker has to fear from them. But since they're probably cross-training in Muay Thai, boxing or karate, you should look into doing some of what they're doing. Be complete, and all that. If Shorinji Kempo lacks newaza, train some Judo, which is "street smart" BJJ.
    While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, there is more to a martial art than just content (i.e. strikes/grappling/both). Training methodology enters into the matter at least as much as, and perhaps more than, the type(s) of technique learned. BJJ/judo/boxing/Muay Thai tend to be effective because of their emphasis on pressure testing with full partner resistance; the existence of large differences between these styles points to the fact that training methodology does indeed play a significant role in combat effectiveness.

Likes (received)

Default x training

... training methodology does indeed play a significant role in combat effectiveness.
    true; if you are already at yudansha stage and have a good basic grounding in SK then why not find some friendly BJJ or MMA guys to train with, if that's the area that you want to improve on ?

I've been training at a kickboxing club, and I don't doubt that it has improved my "combat effectiveness". I think that we've already covered the issues around cross-training on this forum.
    Last edited by Indar; 3rd February 2010 at 17:19. Reason: brain fugue
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Geaslin View Post
    I guess my point is that a BJJ fighter that doesn't know striking has as much to fear from a Shorinji Kempo expert as a striker has to fear from them.
    I don't know if that's entirely true. If one person wants a fight to go to the ground, chances are it's going to end up there, eventually. It's a lot easier to make a fight go to the ground than it is to stand back up once that's already happened; there isn't a 50/50 flow between positions. That's what the early days of the UFC showed: in a contest of pure striking vs. pure grappling, grappling almost always won.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast