Likes Likes:  25
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Denying Shorinji Kempo's Chinese heritage...

Likes (received)

Well, no, I wasn't saying that Wang Peisheng ever beat a serious world contender boxer. I said he never backed out of a challenge, from anyone, over the 60 or so years of his being a master (he had a stroke at the last). There is a funny story about that - someone, a Taijiquan guy, I forget which one - challenged Muhammed Ali to a match. When Ali didn't reply, they claimed he was too frightened. Really, that's how it goes. But, that said, given the numerous publicly witnessed challenges to Wang Peisheng, I don't anticipate that a boxer would represent more of a threat than many others. Peisheng was a professional - probably practiced more of his day than most professionals in any field. Anyway, basically, in our group there is one left, in Beijing. He now has as students two national champions at Sanda (the national fighting art who routinely fight champion Muay Thai fighters etc). He also has as a student a national champion Tae Kwon Do master. They became his students after he insisted that they fight him. There are two others, a body guard and someone else. All much larger than he. If anyone wishes to meet him, I might be able to arrange.

All of the styles (minus Chen) come from Yang - Wu, the second Wu, Sun and one other. Chen style is a dubious case. When Chen Fake came to Beijing (he was a contemporary of Wang Peisheng, and there isn't any doubt who was the better of those two, but indeed, of because he was older, Wang referred to him as "uncle." Chen Fake didn't call what he practiced "Taijiquan." That irks some people. They would even approach him demanding what it was... "is it Taijiquan???" He would say, "you say so." Chen Village had many styles and practices. Many systems border on internal, but are not the same as Yang Luchan's teaching. Chen Style stands out precisely because it looks so completely different from the systems coming from Yang, and even in China, that's why there are questions about it. Of course, Chen Village, just like the Shaolin Temple has become essentially a "Renaissance Fair." Shaolin Temple has a CEO and its employees go home at night to their television sets. Nothing is as it was.

For all my effort over the years, all I can say I have achieved is that I clearly know what constitutes Taijiquan and what does not. It's not really so difficult to know, but does require "feeling." When I say "feeling" I mean "sensation" not mystical ideas or romantic sentiments.

Anyway, the network censors have said I talk to much - so be it.

Back to the original point: Shorinji Kempo - I initially wrote because I felt it was honorable of the Shorinji Kempo followers to acknowledge our master Wang Peisheng - it was a rare display and I appreciated it.

Likes (received)

FYI - for those interested in how "real Taijiquan" looks - here you go: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTE2NTI3NTg0.html

At this disciple ceremony, the national head (Government office) of Chinese Martial Arts was present along with most of the Wu Style. It was acknowledged by the government head (after the demo) that he had seen someone who can now walk the walk (instead "gentle throwing" that you see with the aid of supplicants typically).

By the way, should any of you or your brethren wish to test yourselves, I'm sure it can be arranged.

Likes (received)

If it was my decision, I'd close/remove the thread and/or ban this user now.

JL
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

“Withholding information is the essence of tyranny. Control of the flow of information is the tool of the dictatorship.”
    Bruce Coville

Likes (received)

Which bit of "back on topic" was so difficult to understand eh??
    Closed.......
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

6. Likes JL., mkrueger liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7