Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aikido And Escrima

Likes (received)

Default Aikido And Escrima

I would like to know if anyone knows of any origination here in the United States which promotes or trains in Aikido combined with Philippine escrima or Kali?

I have seen it quite often in the Philippines, however its quite a cut down of traditional Aikido techniques. Most of what I have seen and studied, is its re-structured to be more of a real world application system. Truly devastating
    in every aspect of the word, and mixed with Kali its truly unique.

I wonder how it would go over here in the States?

I did see some Ninja guys show some of there stuff, however they didn't last long at all.

Likes (received)

I doubt very much if such organization exist ! There may be dojo(s) out there trying to combined these two arts together on a local level. In a traditional sense, FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) and Japanese Bugei are just a world apart.

Why not just train in both art separately and play with it. I think you would be wasting your time looking for this non-existent "organization".
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

There actually used to be an organization that was headed by the late John Damian Sensei. His Aiki I think was from the Ki Society, not sure about his Kali. He called his organization, Imua Ki. I know his son, and one of his other senior students was teaching as well. But, have not heard much since his passing. They were based out of St.Pete/Seminole, FL. If you could find them let me know. Great guys, no ego's, good martial arts.

Likes (received)

Here is a link to G.M. Marinas. He is on the east coast and has been teaching his family art of Pananandata for quite a while. I have corresponded with him and found him to be very open. I contacted him because he trained with Gonzales Sensei.

http://pananandata.net/gmmarinas.htm

Peace
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Likes (received)

Look for groups that practice under Cacoy Canete, of the Doce Pares style. He teaches a sub-style called eskrido which is a combination of eskrima and his studies in judo, jujutsu and aikido.

Here's an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsNQ7bICNQ
    Cito Maramba

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dsomers View Post
    There actually used to be an organization that was headed by the late John Damian Sensei. His Aiki I think was from the Ki Society, not sure about his Kali. He called his organization, Imua Ki. I know his son, and one of his other senior students was teaching as well. But, have not heard much since his passing. They were based out of St.Pete/Seminole, FL. If you could find them let me know. Great guys, no ego's, good martial arts.
    Yes! Shihan John J Damian was a student of Tokuji Hirata Sensei and Ben Sekishiro Sensei back when the San Diego Aikikai was developed. His school was Imua Ki martial arts (Imua meaning "move forward" in Hawaiian)

His son Tokuji was a Maestro in Arnis as well as a high ranking Aikido instructor under his father and used to teach us seminars...Shihan Damian passed away in 2001 and the system has not been active as far as I can tell since then. We remain hopeful that Tokuji will continue his father's teaching but understand that he is very busy in the law enforcement field and has a family now.

CHeers!
    Last edited by Dianhsuhe; 26th February 2010 at 19:09.