Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aikido Katame waza

Likes (received)

ikyo to rokyo are pinning technques. Then you have kote gaeshi. The rest are control techniques.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by paul browne View Post
    Hello,

I hope no one minds me drifting into another arts forum.
    The art I practice, Shorinji Kempo, has a great many katame waza and places great emphsis on there effective application at the conclusion of a technique.

I have noticed from observing my son's aikido class, and generally observing aikido, that there seem to be very few types of katame waza practiced at the end of techniques and those that are don't seem to have the restraint of the attacker as there major emphasis. This includes observation of the Koryu Kata taught in Tomiki , the techniques of Yoshinkan and Aikikai schools. Was this a deliberate ommission by Ueshiba sensei? or are they techniques that are practiced but not in general training? I am curious because both the Daito Ryu and Tenjin Shinyo Ryu that he studied before developing aikido seem to have a large number of very effective katame waza.
    Thank you for any answers you can provide.

Regards
    Paul
    We always stress the multi-attacker side of Aikido - as we regularly train with 1, 2 and 3 attacker randori. For anything more than 1 attacker, katame waza is never used. In fact, a basic lesson of 3 attacker randori is that even nage waza is very often problematic for the defender, with simple evasions being the preferred manner of dealing that many attackers.

To that end, katame waza become a kind of baseline. I like to think that the statement that Aikido is making is: "Yes we can still pin a single attacker - but that is child's play. What do you think of this?"

To that end we do study the all of the katame waza from the previous list, with the following added:
    Arm bar (rokyo)
    3 palms (making a throw and a pin directly from the 3 palms pin structure)
    Figure 4 (ala professional wrestling)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2