Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A strange way to drink sake

Luke Short Guest

Question

A while back, I saw a TV show, semi science and mostly entertainment.

They had a guest who had a strange way to drink sake. Before heating it, or drinking it cold,he would shake it quickly up and down for about five minutes. He claimed that it tasted better and he never got a hangover from drinking a whole bottle... one of the big bottles.

They then had a Doctor of some sort explained that the shaking aerated the sake, thus changing the taste, and resulted in the body's increased ease in metabolizing the alcohol. The air helped the chemical breakdown in a way that didn't easily result in a hangover.

I have tried this, though not enough to have a hangover (sake hangovers are the worst for me! so I avoid them at all costs.), but the shaking does change the taste, and with some cheap sake, changes it for the better I have found.

Has anyone else even ever heard of this or tried it?

Maybe someone would be willing to do a little research and try it and report back to us on who it went.

Likes (received)

Well, I will conduct a personal experiment this weekend, purely in the interests of science. Guess it's time to go get a new bottle of Momokawa and see what happens.

I personally doubt this is true, but what the smeg, it's worth playing with.

Luke Short Guest

Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto
    Guess it's time to go get a new bottle of Momokawa and see what happens.
    I guess that means you are living somewhere in the Pacific Northwest... Portland... Forest Grove maybe?

I was suprised that the taste did change. Shake well, it takes a little time to aerate the sake.

Be sure to drink the whole bottle so you can tell us if the hangover was less than you expected.

Likes (received)

Hi Luke, Nope up here in Seattle but I have spent more time in Portland on business then I like. Good thing about that is I learned where to find good food, good booze, cheap women, and good music. Good dojo were hard to find for awhile, but they turned up once I knew where to look.

Interesting that the flavor did change. I'm looking forward to see what happens in my test.

Luke Short Guest

Default While you are researching the sake...

Just wondering which dojo you think of as good ones and what do you mean by "once I knew where to look for them".

Weren't they in the Yellow Pages?

Seriously, which ones did you find that you thought of as good?

Of course to keep on track here, you should type the answer only after half the bottle is gone.. spelling counts!

Luke

DJM Guest

Talking

Obviously the mother of all hangovers if Neil's hands are still shaking too much to type..

Peace (& Quiet?!)
    David

Likes (received)

Default Make the world stop shaking, please!!!

I actually forgot to post a reply on this when I tried it.

The good news is I tried this again the other night(Sunday)with a few friends at a sushi feed and we had 2 bottles of Momokawa. The Pearl and the Silver.

To my taste buds, no taste change from what I recall either one tasting like in previous bottles. But we all agree that Momokawa silver with a twist of lemon tastes pretty good.

As to hangover, well, I was very tired on Monday morning, about the same as if I had not shaken up the sake. I couldn't tell any diffrence from when drinking sake not shaken.

This is not proof Luke's method he posted doesn't work, but just what I found. I guess I should try it again for purely scientific purposes of course.