Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Here a Soke, There a Soke, Everywhere a Soke

Likes (received)

Thanks for such a clear explanation, Carl, and I'm sorry if I opened a can of worms for you. Obviously, this form of recognition has a much deeper significance than an honorary degree. It isn't surprising that for each rare person who is awarded such recognition, there are 100 or even 1,000 who covet such an honor for personal advancement or self-validation, and who would exploit a title for personal gain.

Cady
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Default Will Bodiford's Soke article

Hi all,

As promised, the complete and expanded version of Will Bodiford's disquisition on the use and abuse of the term "soke" is available at Koryu.com (and of course, in our new book, Keiko Shokon). Visit http://koryu.com/library/wbodiford1.html to read the final text.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Yamantaka Guest

Talking Re: Will Bodiford's Soke article and Diane Skoss

Originally posted by Diane Skoss
    Hi all,
    As promised, the complete and expanded version of Will Bodiford's disquisition on the use and abuse of the term "soke" is available at Koryu.com (and of course, in our new book, Keiko Shokon). Visit http://koryu.com/library/wbodiford1.html to read the final text.
    Cheers!
    Diane Skoss
    YAMANTAKA : And I'm very proud for what I believe was the first suggestion to Prof. Bodiford to publish his excellent essay in the Koryu.com page and in KEIKO SHOKON, the spectacular new book by Diane Skoss :

[QUOTE]
    "W.BODIFORD : In the mean time, I have a question: Is there any advantage to having this kind of short essay appear in more than one web site? If not, then I think I should pick one well-established web site and ask everyone else to link to it.
    YAMANTAKA : I agree with your proposal and, with all due respect, would suggest Diane Skoss's website (www.koryu.com). From there, I could get it and put it on my site, with a translation, side by side.
    I'm not surprised so many people enjoyed your text. It touches on a subject of much interest to MA practitioners and explains many things about the Iemoto system in some arts (as Aikido, for instance).[END QUOTE]

By the way, Diane, can I do the translation and put the essay in my website - www.yahoogroups.com/group/Budovirtual ? Of course, I'll need to get also Prof. Bodiford's authorization but I don't think he'll deny it.
    Best

Don Cunningham Guest

I wonder if Will Bodiford would like to be an expert trial witness in my upcoming defense against Rod Sacharnoski's libel suit? Does anyone know how to contact him?

Likes (received)

Bringing this back to life.

This is from a person that claims to have been in Japan for 13 years.

Soke means holder of more than one school, and Iemoto is holder of one.
    Has anyone heard this before?
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

The person is either misinformed or misunderstanding the situation. Neither soke nor iemoto have absolutely specific-consistent-across-history meanings. They have generally accepted meanings, but the terms are often used quite loosely. It's like most things in Japanese culture; context is everything!

An expanded version of Will Bodiford's thoughts on the matter can be found in Keiko Shokon.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Likes (received)

Thank you, Mrs. Skoss!

Regards,
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7