Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moving to a new Dojo, any advice or experiences?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianvw67 View Post
    There is more to life than just koryu or whatever your poison may be.....

The man makes the ryu....not the other way around.

Your mileage may vary.
    Quite possibly true. However this is the Koryu section of the Forum. It's kind of irrelevant to the question.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by OniKudaki View Post
    I am talking about literally picking up everything and moving to a new town specifically for a dojo.

Some questions I have been pondering are as fallows. Should a student go the formal route and schedule kengaku far in advance? Should you tell a teacher who has never met you that you intend to move to their location to train with them? Or, should you simply get settled in the new location, job, housing and so on, and then start kengaku and proceed to join the dojo?
    Seems our friend believes that life should/could revolve around the style he chooses to study. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm simply stating that picking up everything in your life, and moving to a new area simply to study a koryu style is not something to be taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maro View Post
    Quite possibly true. However this is the Koryu section of the Forum. It's kind of irrelevant to the question.
    I respectfully disagree, as I believe it is relevant to his question. In fact, I believe it is a responsibility for more "seasoned" practitioners to provide a voice of temperance when newcomers show such a zealous desire to alter their lives specifically to study koryu. I'm not saying they are wrong to do so. If our friend has prepared all aspects of his life for this change then I applaud him and wish him luck.
    Regards,
    Joel

Isaiah 6:8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2