Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Which martial art would you recomend for self defense

Likes (received)

This is a timeless topic and I would also like to contribute something. The OP might have chosen one already but this one is for the people who are currently asking the same question. I am not a highly proficient martial artist but I'll give it a go. In my opinion, choosing the type of Martial art requires self assessment. You can answer the following questions:

*What discipline do you find yourself excelling to?
    *Why type of discipline do you think your overall physical strength can be highly effective?
    *Do you like getting punched in the face? If not, then try to avoid disciplines that involve striking
    *Do you have brittle bones? Then try your very best to avoid disciplines that require grappling
    *If you like to learn Martial arts for self defense, what type of environment are you at? Will you most likely be attacked with a gun, a knife, or by bare knuckles alone? Once you answered those questions, then it's time to do some research on what type of martial art would suit you best.

I hope this will help.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 12th March 2015 at 14:55. Reason: remove commercial link

Likes (received)

Hi Jason,
    Welcome to E-Budo. Please note that in the forum rules, advertisements and links to commercial sites are not permitted. I have thus removed the link in your post. Links to personal blog sites and one's own budo-related web sites are permitted, but not links to on-line betting businesses or commercial products or services.

When you have the opportunity to do so, check out the forum rules, which are pinned to the top of each forum. In the meantime, we hope you will continue to enjoy the forums, both reading and contributing to them.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 12th March 2015 at 22:47.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I'd like to add something to the "I'll just carry a gun" statement:

People in our often materialistic society seem to think that a gun, a simple tool, can single-handedly be used to protect themselves. Even though they have never actually used or trained with it outside of their square, indoor ranges or plinking in the desert. Even if they carried it around at every moment of every day, there are so many factors in using it. First of all, do you have the will to shoot (possibly kill) someone? Do you have the skill to put combat effective rounds on target, draw the weapon from concealment in (potentially) a contact-distance encounter under the threat of death? And, considering you have all these skills, are you going to shoot someone every time you are faced with the threat of a physical confrontation? There are times you may need to defend your self, but you are not morally and legally justified in killing your assailant.

Likes (received)

There is at least "some" anecdotal evidence that many people--regardless of training, simply can't injury people.

They can't jab thier fingers into peoples eyes.

Might of course simply be that the "really" didn't feel any real fear in the test so they simply could not do it. Might be a whole different story if it was a reall attack.

Guns have been recovered from battlefields in the Civil War with 5-6 plus rounds etc that have never been fired. etc.

Some people literally can't pull the trigger.

Me? I hope I never have to find out.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

5. Likes StephenBaker liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kurzweilfreak View Post
    I know it was a joke, but I hear that response all the time.

"Why do you do that martial arts crap? If someone wanted a piece of me, I'd just whip out my [insert gun here]!"

Obvious legal issues aside, my response is usually "oh really? Do you have your gun on you now?" Answer is always "no" or "It's in my car" or something similar. "Really now? So that gun doesn't do you much good does it? *punch them in the face*"

I don't really punch them in the face , but I think the point still stands. Yes, carry a gun when you can, but you won't always have it on you. Then what?
    I have added my own, personal touch in the response. Tough guy: "How's that gonna work against my gun?"
    Me: "Been shot before. Pisses me off."
    Said in my best Dirty Harry voice, of course!

Likes (received)

A late answer here too:
    Q: Which martial art would you recommend for self defense
    A: One that teaches you when is time to run and when is time to fight.

8. Likes Brian Owens, StephenBaker liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4