Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New game: find a clip of Shorinji Kempo that isn't!

Likes (received)

Wait for it.... wait... wait... there... did you see that?
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

3min 50secs, Uchi Uke Zuki again? Well spotted.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    3min 50secs, Uchi Uke Zuki again? Well spotted.
    Good. Now PM me if you want to know to more about that clip as I am not at liberty to say publicly.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Aaaarghhhhhh!!!!!!! another secret conspiracy!!!!!!!

David Noble

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Why not sue each other with libel?
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

Likes (received)

How about a really old clip of Kenji Tomiki showing his Aikido. Looks a bit odd at first, but gets good around the 6 minute mark.

For more light-hearted stuff, try this old Mr Cholmonderly-Warner skit from Harry Enfield.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Or some 1931 Jujitsu. Fruity costume on the lady!
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    Sorry if this is against the flow of the forum "theme" at the moment , but could anyone suggest a Shorinji Kempo technique that is the closest equivalent of this one... there is a discussion about that technique on another forum and I'd like to show how it might look in Shorinji Kempo, do you have a clip I could use?
    This clip of Osae Kannuki Nage is the closest there is a clip for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CRdWqCrVlI

There is a shikake version which I can do but don't know the name of, (and can't find a clip of)

I have a bit of a thing for old pre-war jujutsu/self defence books and 'video', and a bit more of a thing for that lovely, well spoken young lady in the third clip on Dirk's post. Too weird ?!! Really!! I'll get my coat

Regards
    Paul
    Kesshu
    Last edited by paul browne; 14th March 2010 at 19:13. Reason: add more

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Thought I'd add a couple more interesting links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbmzVhqjMk.

This first is a Qinna technique that bears a resemblance to Tsubame gaeshi (my favourite technique). I remember Yamazaki sensei once saying that Kaiso's shutogiri in tsubamegaeshi used to drop people straight down tothe floor, making this version interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...eature=related

This next one is discribed as Snake style (which it is but it's part of Bagua chang) and is performed by a nice, Yoda like,old master. Using Shorinji Kempo terminlogy it mainly appears as variations on Sukui Kubi nage,with one Tembin Dori, but it's really interesting technique. It also somewhat resembles the Tomiki Aikido my son studies. Not related to either but interesting similarities.

Hope you find them interesting.

Regards
    Paul
    Kesshu
    Last edited by paul browne; 14th March 2010 at 20:03.

Likes (received)

Here is a better resolution clip of Dirk's second offering. Somebody has uploaded the same clip but with a better image - unfortunately they have put a jokey caption that makes it sound like Harry Enfield's gag (then in tiny writing it says "sorry, don't know the real names) - a viewer has commented that the clip is
    Viking Cronholm. He introduced Ju-jitsu in Sweden in 1908. It is not really known what style he learned (apparently in south africa), but it is thought to be Kano's school. He taught ju-jitsu until the 50's in Sweden.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

I spent some time today surfing for info about May Whitley the lady from Dirk's third clip. A facinating excursion into the past.

Most of the hits on a Google search are for the clip itself, as referenced in blogs around the world. None of those seemed to have any more information about her, although one dates it as 1933. The clues from the title page, about the people coming from "The Trocadero Restaurant, London" led to a page that described the history of that interesting central London location and the various ways it has been used. In common with many of the early references to Jujitsu in the UK, it seems that it was used as a "novelty act" in a form of variety show that Americans refer to as Vaudeville. In this case, the Restaurant used to have shows to entertain the customers and it would appear that May Whitley and her assailant were appearing there. A search of Charles Cawkell came up with this lengthy and detailed history of the Budokwai - which mentions Lansdowne Way (memorable for London kenshi as the home of Stockwell Dojo). This article by Graham Noble (not a relation), describes some of the background to the Music Hall era of jujitsu.

So, if May Whitley was around, say, 25, in 1933, she's probably no longer with us. I liked the smile when she mentioned dislocating the guy's wrist.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

The best resolution of that May Whitley clip is here on the Pathe site. It also gives an authoritative release date of 1933. There are some other fun clips on there, like Iai/Kendo on ice (I kid you not), from 1940.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Default Ushiro Karate

I found this style on the AkiJournal website and although it is listed as a Karate, there is a lot of Aikido in this. It seems to be a strong mixture of both. Have a look at this video and I invite you to look it up more of their videos on YouTube. My only comment on the video link is that it is indeed an interesting way of expressing go ju ittai.

I also found this interview.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Does this look familiar?

It is titled "No. 19, Wrsit Throw", it comes from a book "Get Tough" written to teach "jujitsu" to British Armed Forces (title page dated 1943). See the online version here, as referenced in this thread on the "History of British Jujitsu".
    David Noble

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast