Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What sort of swordwork is this?

Likes (received)

Default What sort of swordwork is this?

Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Hey Fred..
    What makes you think it's koryu?
    According to the website it's "muso shinden ikkan ryu"....Taught by a Machida Sensei in Noda, Chiba, Japan...But it doesn't look like Koryu..Maybe writing to the guy demoing would get more info?
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Muso Shinden Fudo Ikken Ryu

Seems to be related to modern "ninjutsu."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hi Brian.

Aside from the use of Shinden Fudo in the name, I can't see anything related to any of the X-Kan systems here. Honestly, I'm not really impressed with his demo here either, especially considering according to the school site he is 6th Dan (Menkyo level...?...) in the system. The jujutsu system, KoKoDo Jujutsu seems to be an off-shoot of Hakko Ryu, although the level reached I am unsure of, and the sword system, well, the way it is named sets off alarms to me (Muso Shinden Ryu combined with Shinden Fudo Ryu, combined with Ikken [one sword?]?).

I don't think it's anything to do with koryu kenjutsu, despite the statement on the site that this was the art trained by the elite samurai... a big grain of salt, I'd suggest.
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    ...Aside from the use of Shinden Fudo in the name, I can't see anything related to any of the X-Kan systems here.
    Yes, which is why I put "ninjutsu" in quotes. It may well be something made up out of whole cloth based on limited training, reading, or video watching.

The whole demo was performed in what looked like an excessively closed in focus, to my eyes.

Of course, I'm no expert. Just an advanced beginner.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

James Campbell -- Don't know him or much about him, but one of my students trained with him for a little while after moving from Germany to California. Said he was a very nice guy ... I can query for more info, if anyone's really interested. Campbell's also on Facebook.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

I see. I didnt really know what it was or what to make of it. Well I had a slight idea of what to make of it .
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Default .

If things look and smell like something they are, more often than not, that thing.
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk