Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dr. Gordon Warner

Likes (received)

Default Dr. Gordon Warner

Dr. Gordon Warner passed away in Okinawa at the age of 97. He is survived by his wife son and daughter.

http://kenshi247.net/blog/2009/08/07/gordon-warner/
    Bill Reddock
    Los Angeles IaidoKai

Likes (received)

Incredible personal history, a true warrior in action and spirit.

Likes (received)

A giant of a man...physically in those days in Japan, and spiritually great; a pioneer who changed hearts and (mis)perceptions, and opened doors for non-Japanese MA people to enter. Thank you, Warner Sensei.

Likes (received)

Rest in Peace. Thank you for breaking the trail.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

He sounds like a man of iron will. I'm shamed that me, a student of history, had not heard of him until I saw this topic.

My deepest respect for this great man and warrior, now departed to rejoin the Source of all life. <bow>
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

His book with Donn Draeger is essential. http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Sword...5101572&sr=8-3 Great link to the biography, thank you for bringing this to the forum. Such an excellent memorial thread: those giants whose shoulders we don't stand upon; we are supported entirely.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Default A great man

I met him several times when I was stationed in Okinawa. He used to give lectures on Budo in the Kadena Air Base library. His notes are a treasure trove of history and facts. Note he also wrote a book on the Battle of Okinawa and the reversion of Okinawa from US possession to a prefecture in Japan. He will be missed.

Mike Callender
    Train Hard
    -Mike Callender