Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mark Sterke - Shosho-ryu, Muhen-ryu, & Shintai-ryu

Likes (received)

Default Mark Sterke - Shosho-ryu, Muhen-ryu, & Shintai-ryu

Hi everybody!
    Please look this:http://www.shintairyu.nl/Martial%20a...k%20Sterke.pdf
    Could anybody verify Mr. Sterke´s claims?

Kind Regards!

Sven
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sven beulke View Post
    Hi everybody!
    Please look this:http://www.shintairyu.nl/Martial%20a...k%20Sterke.pdf
    Could anybody verify Mr. Sterke´s claims?

Kind Regards!

Sven
    For an art with 5 soke, i have found no entry in the bugei ryuha daijiten for shintai ryu with those kanji (might be an occidental style but with a holly soke ).

But I have found a Shôshô Ryű and a Muhen Yôgan ryű which is (was?) performing bô. At least thoses two schools aren't inventions; the ShôShô Ryű is listed in the bugei ryuha daijiten from '78 as a member of the nihon kobudô kyôkai. I still cannot say the man from shintai ryű is legitimate at this point, but at least one of the schools still exists.

even if i have the phone number for Shôshô Ryű, i wont give a call and disturb the soke for that kind of information

Likes (received)

For those of you not willing to mess around with PDF, and since his information is already out in the open, here is Mark Sterkes introduction & credentials from the above file:

Mark W.J.M. Sterke, born ‘s-Hertogenbosch at 1958 (大師範 博士 素手礼九
    丸空 / ステルケ マルク), grandmaster-teacher, educational psychologist
    and managing director of a research institute. He is 5th generation
    headmaster ( 五代 宗家, godai soke) of Shin tai ryu ( 心泰流;
    www.shintairyu.nl) and is the only European who is member of the Nihon
    Kobudo Shinkokai (日本古武道振興会), Tokyo, received various mokuroku from the Sho
    sho ryu Yawara (諸賞流 和), oldest Japanese martial arts academy and Muhen yogan ryu
    Bojutsu (無辺要眼流 棒術) and is allowed the use of the family kamon of the feodal Nanbu
    Han-clan (南部-蕃, 盛岡, Morioka and the Shin tai ryu is granted the position of
    Shohakoryu dojo (初派古流道場), the representative of the Nambu-han Kobudo (南部-蕃
    古武道).
    He began training in the martial arts more than thirty eight years ago and received the 9th
    Dan (九段) from the Dutch Jujutsu Society (オランダ柔術協会) with the grandmasterteacher
    title (大師範). He also received graduations of the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei( 全
    日本剣道協会) and Dutch Judo Association (オランダ柔道協会). He is the president of the
    Dutch Academy of Traditional Martial Arts (オランダ武術学会; www.bushi.eu). He is also
    member of the Musha nakama (武者仲間), Circle of master warriors.
    He published nineteen books (www.lulu.com) and demonstrated the martial arts all over
    Europa and also during the Nippon Kobudo Embu Taikai ‘Meiji jingu’ (古武道 演武 大会 明
    治神宮), Tokyo, 2000. His published in Cultura Martialis, ‘Koryu Bujutsu’ (古武道武術), in
    issue number 7 in 2006. An other article in Cultura Martialis, ‘Wudang Daoism and
    Wushu’, was published in issue number 9 in 2007. Both are in German language. He is
    also known in Japanese magazines and books: ‘Budo’ (武道), ‘Hiden’ (秘伝), ‘Nihon no
    Kobudo’ (日本の古武道), and ‘Morioka no bunka’ (盛岡の文化).
    Almost every year, since 1986, he travels to Japan to train the various traditional martial
    arts and studied Asian culture, history, martial arts and philosophies. Within the research
    program of the Dutch Academy of Traditional Martial Arts he travelled five times to China
    to visit all the venerable martial places and the academy published ‘Venerable Martial
    Places of China – Hidden sources of Wushu, Budo, and related themes’ and quit recently
    Laozi Daode jing, the martial edition (2007; in Dutch). He received recently his Doctorate
    in Philosophy (Ph.D.).
    He lives and teaches martial arts in The Netherlands
    in his Japanese family dojo (Riki bu dojo (力武道場)
    and Japanese- and bamboogarden (Himitsu take
    niwa 秘密竹庭).
    The martial arts of the Shin tai ryu are: Jujutsu,
    Jojutsu, Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu, Hanbojutsu, Tanbojutsu,
    Tantojutsu, Hojojutsu, Shurikenjutsu,
    Sosetsukonjutsu, Tessenjutsu, Jittejutsu, Riaijojutsu,
    Atemijutsu, Kyujutsu, Yarijutsu and Hijutsu (柔術 杖
    術 剣術 居合術 半棒術 短棒術 短刀術 捕縄術 手
    裏剣術 活法 双節棍術 鉄扇術 十手術 理合杖術 当
    身術 弓術 矛術 秘術). Besides the martial arts we
    practice Asian classical philosophy, Asian first aid
    (Katsu-ho), seated meditation (Zazen) and physical
    excersises (Taiso). The Riki bu dojo is surrounded
    by a small Japanese garden en bamboo garden with
    over 100 species. Everybody is welcome to visit
    accommodation.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

I know that Mark Sterke's Shosho-ryu & Muhen-ryu connections are legitimate. He is listed as one of the shibucho for Shosho-ryu under the current headmaster of the ryu (Shosho-ryu & Muhen-ryu are taught at the same dojo).

It's strange however, that the introduction fails to mention how long he lived in Japan.

As for Shintai-ryu, I have never heard of it. As durandal has pointed out, Shintai-ryu is not listed in the Bugei ryuha daijiten. Some things that stuck out like the proverbial bulldog's nether regions were disciplines listed like sosetsukonjutsu & yarijutsu. Sosetsukon if I remember correctly is another term for nunchaku. Then there's the terminology usage of yarijutsu; The term should really be using the on-yomi reading "So" as in Sojutsu.

Just some passing observations.

Likes (received)

He writes Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei (全日本剣道協会) but the Kanji is actually written as Zen Nippon Kendo Kyokai
    Bill Reddock
    Los Angeles IaidoKai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by wreddock View Post
    He writes Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei (全日本剣道協会) but the Kanji is actually written as Zen Nippon Kendo Kyokai
    i noticed that (maybe he was thinking about something else while typing the kanji) but one big point is the fact he is not proud of his znkr dan, meaning he can be only 2 or 3rd dan (when you are 6th you generally advertise it), and he claims teaching iai, while none of the shôshô ryu or muhen ryű have this discipline in their curiculum, if i take the Bugei Ryűha Daijiten as a refence.

Likes (received)

Hello,

as for his connection with the shoshō-ryū yawara, M. Sterke is mentioned within the chapter on shoshō-ryū yawara in T. Yokose's “Nihon no Kobudō” published by the Nihon Budōkan in 2000. They even included a little picture of him.

Regards,

Henning Wittwer

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gibukai View Post
    Hello,

as for his connection with the shoshō-ryū yawara, M. Sterke is mentioned within the chapter on shoshō-ryū yawara in T. Yokose's “Nihon no Kobudō” published by the Nihon Budōkan in 2000. They even included a little picture of him.

Regards,

Henning Wittwer
    Yes, that is true, but it doesn't mention how long he lived in Japan for, nor does it mention Shintai-ryu.

Likes (received)

Hi,

Mark Sterke is a jujutsu teacher in The Netherlands who has contacts with the Shosho-ryu/Muhen-ryu.
    Shintai-ryu is the name of his own style. I think he mentions Maurice van Nieuwenhuizen as one of the previous Soke's of his style. If this is so than that is incorrect. Van Nieuwenhuizen was a jujutsu/judoteacher in The Netherlands. He was not connected to a particular ryu or style of jujutsu.
    As far as I know Sterke never lived in Japan but visits Japan regularly.

Johan Smits