Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mark Bishop's new book

Likes (received)

Smile Mark Bishop's new book

I was just wondering whether anyone has read Mark Bishop's new book (relatively speaking). The title is Okinawan Weaponry, Hidden Methods, Ancient Myths of Kobudo & Te. I have seen it in various places online, but no one has posted a review. For those who have read his other books, I was wondering if there was any new information of real value to anyone other than the amateur historian or archaeologist. Any information would be appreciated.
    Michael Martin

Likes (received)

It's interesting, but more autobiographical than his previous book 'Okinawan Karate:Teachers, Styles and Secret Techniques'. So not as useful as on source of information as the first book, but a good book as introduction to okinawan culture. - Andy
    If you believe in an ideal,you don't own it,it owns you.
    -Raymond Chandler.

Likes (received)

Hi Michael

Yes I have read both of Mark Bishop's new books (cover to cover); Okinawan Weaponry: Hidden Methods, Ancient Myths of Kobudo and Te and Zen Odyssey: A Martial Arts Journey. The latter is the autobiography, I think maybe Andy has muddled the latter up with the former.

As regards Okinawan Weaponry it is what it says it is a catalogue of Okinawan Weaponry compiled in a style not dissimiliar to his Okinawan Karate book.
    the book is divided into Metal Weapons (Bladed) , Metal Weapons (Non Bladed), Wooden Weapons, Clandestine Weapons. it has some historical information, details about which weapons were practised in various karate and Kobudo styles including Te, on which there is something of a focus throughout.

Ok as reagrds to real value, hmmm, depends what you mean. There are some good points, but more of clarification, but these have to be unpicked from the dated perspective that Mr Bishop has on certain issues. For example he still seems to appear to suggest that many people believe the old theories about origin of Okinawan weaponry that have been somewhat overturned.
    There are some good pictures as well. Personally I quite liked it and felt it was on par in many ways with his Okinawan karate book, though not quite as good.

Regards
    Chris Norman